Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure channel assignments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1993 or perhaps early 1994, I remember seeing an "E" on-screen graphic on the TV in my girlfriend's friend's flat at the time. Portable with a loop aerial. Anyone else I knew had cable and didn't have the graphic.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

It was done shortly after the opening of the Channel E RTE outlet at Maghera (with RTE2 inheriting Channel H) the idea presumably being that Kippure and Maghera would share channels (albeit with opposing polarisation) with Carin Hill taking care of any mush problems in the overlap area.

Prior to this RTE2 used Channel J from Kippure with power/directional restrictions to protect PMR (DAB wasn't yet a thing although possibly anticipated) services in England/Wales. Channel E only became available to RTE when ITV 405 line services ceased in the mid 1980's. These restrictions probably affected RTE2's availability in parts of Wicklow ?

Advertisement