Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neff Combi died

Options
  • 24-09-2022 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

We splashed out and bought Neff products when we did our kitchen 7 years ago. I admit I just wanted the sliding oven door I saw on the Great British Bake Off. They really were not worth the money I paid. The microwave combi died today https://www.neff-home.com/uk/productlist/C57M70N3GB#/Togglebox=manuals/.

It started buzzing a couple of days ago and now will only work for 10 seconds and then cuts out. Should I spend the €100 on a service call or am I throwing good money after bad. The model I bought is no longer being made. Should I just buy a different brand to replace it ? Whatever I buy won't match the oven that it's built in with but I may not have a choice ☹️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What will it cost to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

How comfortable are you having a good look to see what’s causing the fault ? Very often it’s just the heating element that fails. It means undoing a few screws and checking the element to see if it’s blown. Parts are the same across loads of models and brands. Grease gets on the element and shorts it out. I’ve changed it on our oven twice over the years. The motor is just as easy to do but you will have to pull the oven out onto a chair to have a look. Spare parts guide below.

https://www.neff-home.com/uk/supportdetail/product/C57M70N3GB/39#/Tabs=section-spareparts/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

The replacement model is €1150 in Currys at the moment. I wouldn't be too confident about taking it apart Damien, not too savi with electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ah ok. I would ask if the €100 call out is just a speculative call or will the person bring likely parts (not always possible but I would expect them to bring a heating element). If it’s €100 call out plus another €100 plus parts then you have a decision to make. If it’s the magnetron (microwave part), then forget it.

I looked at the reviews on that link you have above and they are poor.

Most ovens are a standard size in dimensions, so slotting in a different model is not an issue. Wiring it up was simple also but if you are uncomfortable get either the supplier to fit or an electrician.

I have a Neff myself (not same model as yours) after having a Bosch oven. The Bosch was a pain for getting grease on the element, had a dodgy door hinge and very fragile glass. And the motor gave up twice. I got 15 years out of it but only because I could do the repairs. After the element gave up for a third time, I admitted defeat.

Your dimensions : height 450mm x 560mm width x 550mm depth although the depth is usually not that much of an issue as you have empty space behind it to the wall usually. All those listed in that size are compact ovens but with the exact same dimensions. Have you a blank inserted above or below that allows you have a larger oven (double oven) ? Or is this for an apartment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Hi, been there. We had the same combo and it too died after 7 years. Microwave would noise for 15 seconds and stop. Generally we used the microwave most days briefly and less often the grill part (once a week). Never the top oven part.

I expected more from that appliance.

After speaking with kitchen service guy (good handy guy from Mayo) he said from over phone that I needed some either 1 or 2 parts (magnetron or transformer) . Common parts to be replaced apparently. See link https://www.justanswer.co.uk/appliance/9kmod-neff-microwave-goes-off-22seconds-does-not.html One costing approx 180 and other 250. So I just chanced getting the more likely (and cheaper) failed item as advised. He fitted it for that price and the callout fee of 75.

Once fitted, it's back working as normal. Although still just using the microwave and grill parts.

That 2 years ago. And fingers crossed its still working.

Again we bought neff for its reliability but this has let us down once and are not happy with that appliance. Other other neff appliances like the oven, hob and dishwasher are perfect (touch wood)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million for all the advice. Relieved to know that slotting another model into the spot shouldn't be a problem. Also good to know that yours is still working after the repair. I think I'll ring the Neff service crowd tomorrow along with a local repair guy and see what he says. It's a pain, I genuinely thought I'd have gotten longer out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

take out your mw and take it to a recognized service center, very often it can be as little as a fuse, diode or micro switch, (btw food is not heated by elements in a microwave)

Advertisement