Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why speedtest download figure so low through wireless router?

• 23-09-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all , i have a good FTTH of 454mbps on a 512mbps package. but get bad download speed of 64.78mbps on speedtest.net where has all that extra download speed gone? - I understand that you are going to loose speed using wireless router and not going the wired way but my wireless link speed is 433mbps between my laptop and router - so that looks pretty good , without anything blocking between my laptop and router.

here is my setup:

Broadband - digiweb Ultra

wireless Router FritzBox

802.11 AC 5ghz card - Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with latest driver

Link Speed- 433.3mbps - 5 bars signal

windows 11

Distance of laptop to wireless router - circa 22ft - 1 block wall in the middle but no metal in between

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What speed do you get next to the router wirelessly with Speed Test ?

Speed test might be throttled. Try a different app to check speed.

Run an ethernet cable from laptop to router... What does Speed Test report the. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Thanks - When i run the ethernet from router to laptop (hard wired) 454mbps

Ok, Speed Test is fine.

The Internet to your laptop is fine.

The router is fine for wired connections.

If you are next to the router and wireless is crap then you've some local wireless connection issue. Maybe the router does not support high bandwidth wirelessly or is not configured correctly or maybe ditto for your laptop.

Try another laptop or mobile phone iPad etc to see if you can rule out your laptop or the router.

Edit

Makesure both are using 5 GHz WiFi.

Do you have other WiFi interfering? When you search for networks are there a load of other networks ? Maybe change the channel that's used.

yeah there is something weird going on with my wireless card, must be - I just tried sitted directly next to router and wirelessly on 5Ghz 802.11AC and the speed was only 62.99

The wired test I had to do with wifes laptop because my laptop only has 10/100 ethernet lan card in it and wifes has 10/100/1gbps card in it

• Advertisement

Through android phone 22ft from router - 152Mbps -

reckon i will have to change the 802.11AC card inside my laptop and try again then because I have the latest drivers on it - even though strange its 433mbps link speed for the wireless card in the laptop and 5 bars

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

link speed is the theoretical max, I wouldnt pay much attention to it.

Also the speedtest.net app Vs URL will give wildly different results.

Fritzbox's are generally fine and should be more than capable of delivering that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Did you also try the suggestion of a speed test wirelessly next to the router? A sturdy block wall could cause a lot of speed loss too so you need to establish a baseline with no obstructions. Also try with a modern smartphone as well as the laptop to see if there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

10/100 ethernet card suggests not a well specced laptop, does your wife's laptop perform better wirelessly than yours?

I done the ookla speedtest through the android phone on chrome and ticked 'desktop mode' for that reason I was thinking that the app may report differently

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

if you really want to see if there's an issue, do some iperf testing, its fairly straightforward, will show you if the issue is the router, isp or laptop

last 3 results I have just done wirelessly 1 on 2.4G and 2 on 5G around 12ft from the router:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

edit: It appears your ancient laptop is the problem not the wifi router.

There is no point in paying for higher internet speed if your local network cannot handle it.

If you want to take advantage of the higher speeds then fix your connection to the local router. This means either use gigabit ethernet or a modern wifi router.

If you actually care about speed then do not use wireless at all.

"..modern wifi router"

so you would not consider the fritzbox AC dual band router to be modern or any good?

Advertisement