Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused change of vehicle by insurer

Options
  • 23-09-2022 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,

Today i was refused a change of cover from my main car to a run around they sighted I've had too many changes this year approx 2/3, i think this is the third. i had a few lemons this year it could happen to anyone!

My mercedes is gone to the main dealer for a new subframe and airbags under warranty, the airbags will be completed today but the subframe had to be inspected and photos sent to mercedes headquarters for approval which the service manager said should be a formality!

the bad news is he said it could take 2/3 months before the car is repaired due to the lead time on parts leaving me with no car for that time frame, i bought myself a cheap runaround with nct and tax to tide me over until i get the car back but the insurer refused to do the swap.

I explained the situation to them on the phone car in for repairs no courtesy car and all was noted and told it would be sent to the underwriter for review. i haven't heard back from them and they are closed from 6pm this evening until monday morning.

I have appointments etc that i can't really afford not to attend and i don't have any family members to call upon for lifts and i live in a very rural area!

what can i do?

Comments

Have you thought of likes of Go Car, but I think it would be little use in a very rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To be legal you have to stay home and not drive till the insurance company gets back to you. IIRC most insurance companies have a limit on transfers, the majority of people never transfer, so someone doing several raises a red flag.

Do you know anyone that you can borrow a car from till you get a resolution and drive that with your driving other cars endorsement.

Unethical tip. Sell the car to a friend for €1 and then drive on your driving other cars extension . This will work for the Gardai but could cause problems if you need to use your insurance.

Another option is to cancel your current policy and take a fresh one on the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

i don't see any in my area is this a car rental service? i am looking more towards the insurance side of it i never knew there was a restriction on changes of vehicle, i think it is a new thing since liberty where taken over by the Spanish company. Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

with my insurance co the car has to have an active policy to use 3rd party extension! i've had two cars this year its a disaster for me iv lost a lot of money to over them being **** boxes.

i rang them again before closing and they said to call back monday that it hasnt been approved etc but i did query that when i get my mercedes back will there be hassle swapping back and she basically said there would be!

i spoke to axa rep about this and he said it would not have been an issue for them they also offered me a quote for €352 if its not sorted it and i cancel my current insurance.

i have a hospital appointment on tuesday that i cant miss i was on a waiting list for 5 years its stress i dont need trying to sort this out and make sure i can attend my appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Cancel with them , it's their loss. It's not worth the hassle being stressed out over this. I understand their rules. Just move away from them.

• Advertisement

its very likely i will cancel on monday if the situation isn't remedied and i will purchase new policy with axa. will that mess up my no claims cert or how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are they refusing to insure you or simply not allowing you to transfer your policy without additional charges?

They are refusing to do the transfer in general at the moment, i would have no problem with additional charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

It should not affect your no claims. You are voting with your feet, not being offered a service that satisfies your needs. Go to AXA, get on the road again until your own car get's fixed. Life's too short to have these weasels adding to the everyday stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can get your no claims bonus cert here -

Make alternative arrangements to get to that appointment as a fall back in case you can't arrange cover on Monday.

Maybe a taxi or lift to a bus stop.

• Advertisement

I was reading on my insurers website €50 cancellation fee, but incant find out what happens my NCB cert as i havent completed the year, i have 12 years NCB as it stands excluding this year. do they just give back the one i sent them?

I should think the No claims Bonus Cert should not be an issue… you haven’t had any claims so far this year not for previous 12.

You won't get an NCB cert for the policy you cancel but as you've 12 years it's irreverent. I'd to do something similar a few years ago with bike insurance as my current insurer wanted more to transfer to my new bike than a fresh policy with a different insurer. I'd only 2 years NCB at the time. Called to cancel the policy and they thought they where smart by saying I wouldn't get my NCB cert for the year, I'd already got a policy with the 2 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

so where im confused is if they don't give me a new cert and I've given them my old NCB cert, where do i get my NCB cert for the policy with new company.

The company you cancelled will give it. But they won't add this policy so you will still have 12 years not 13.

ok great, i will ring in the morning and if they still kicking up i will cancel and take up Axa's offer i got friday.

found this whole situation very unprofessional from the insurance company which left me carless friday and all weekend now. Even after two calls and outlining the circumstances.

i have a friend who is on his 5th or 6 car this year, always chopping and changing and he said its the first he has heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware if you cancel you may not get as much back as you expect. I have cancelled twice in the last year. Luckily I went through a broker and they handled most of the change. They may only give you a small amount back not the % of the year left. They could not tell me the refund amount on the decision day and it took weeks for refund to be issued.

Often there is limitations on temporary transfers, as in number of days maximum, often there is engine size or "risk profile" limits and often temporary car may not be owned by hire company, and may have to have NCT, tax and already insured to someone else. It's a pain. Often they limit the number of free changes or charge per chance.

You should try local car hire companies, go car, Yuko, and normal crowds like enterprise etc. Go car can take a day or two to process the application and they are not cheap.

Advertisement