Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint and plaster issue

Options
  • 22-09-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, I recently got an attic conversion in house. This involved fitting a stairs above the existing stairs which meant the existing stair wall had to be skimmed again. I was painting the wall at weekend when I notice large bubbles in the paint. I presumed I could just scrape and sand and apply second coat but unfortunately when scraping the skim started to come off with the paint. The wall now looks a mess. From the attached pic, does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I dont have money for getting someone in so hoping I can sort myself. I was thinking I could remove the skin back to ceiling and use jointing tape and filler to correct the joint between wall and ceiling

. Paint a primer on uncovered wall and then repaint over. Would this work? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post edited by crustybread on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

How long did you wait between when the plastering was completed and then painting it? If you did wait an adequate amount of time then I would say they missed up the skim and there could be more issues to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭crustybread

Thanks for the response. It was about a week. I got a painter in at the time to do it. It’s been painted again since. This is the third time it has been painted so strange the issue only occurred now. I’ve sanded the area right back and painted two coats of a primer. Will apply a coat of paint next weekend when have time and hopefully that will be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The typical rule is to wait for about 6 weeks for it all to dry fully, but if the top skim de-laminated like that then it didn't bond with the existing plaster and was probably never going to. That is in my opinion, a defect with the workmanship. How much of it came off? Can you pull back and re-photo it with light on it? Is it a noticeable corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭crustybread

I peeled back to the ceiling pretty much but just in that area. I think I've done the best I could by sanding and priming, thankfully, its under the attic stairs so not overly noticeable. I will repaint this weekend and hopefully it will be okay. If not, I'll have to wait and get an expert in. Pain in the ar*e when you think something will take you a couple of hours and ends up running into days. Thanks for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

The bare plaster should be allowed to dry out thoroughly. Then prime with a 50% (water) diluted wall paint with 5% Builders PVA added. Then paint additional coats as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement