Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone opened a US Bank account from Ireland recently?

Options
  • 22-09-2022 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭

I lived in the US for a few years and I was asked by someone I knew whether it was possible to open an account in the US. I don't know as I opened accounts when I was there alright but nothing opened from here. I thought that I'd ask on here if anyone has done it?

I remember from years ago that most Banks ask for SSN but that it isn't technically a legal requirement although most require it. I don't think an ITIN is either. But that you used to have to go in person to a branch to open it. In other words, it was difficult but not impossible. They tightened up on the regulations post 9/11 but I think it was possible even after that.

I know that you can open online multi-currency accounts and all that. So I'm not asking about that. Or a foreign currency account in an Irish Bank. I'm asking about a regular current or savings account in a US Bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is there an award for having the most ironic post on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ULEZ23

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Legally, its possible for a US bank to provide banking services to a customer who resides outside the US. But US banks are under no obligation to do this, and most have no interest in doing so. So unless you're one of the super-rich, and an attractive customer to a high-service private bank, you will struggle to find a bank that wants your custom. It will be easier if you have a functioning US address for correspondence (even if you don't actually live there) and a US social security number or ITIN but, even with all that, you're going to have to hunt for a bank that wants your business. A lot of US banks also require you to visit a branch in person at least once in order to open an account.

Researching a bank that will take your money is hampered by the fact that, in the US, the term "nonresident" is commonly used for someone who in fact resides in the US but doesn't have a resident visa — they have a visa that gives only temporary residence rights, e.g as a postgraduate student or a posted, exchange or seasonal worker. A lot of banks say they offer accounts to non-residents but, when you look into the requirements, one of them turns out to be that you live in the US.

Advertisement