Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good bike lock to buy before 10pm

• 21-09-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

is there any shop i can go to before 10pm tonight, where i can buy a good bike lock, eg 20euro or just a chain and padlock, ,must be near dublin 1 .

i lost my lock,key, all i have now is 2 poundland locks, i know i can buy a good lock in any bike shop tommorow .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i,m leaving the bike with a friend, til 10 am tommorow can anyone recommend a good bike lock, 20-25 euro, or should i just buy a heavy chain and padlock from a hardware store ?i dont trust the loop type cable type locks ,they can be cut easily

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Padlock and chain is only as good as the padlock, spend more unless you want it knicked. Decathlon seem to have some heavy duty ones for 30quid each, can't vouch for them.

Rule of thumb is 10% of the value of the bike but having a quick gander, I'd say minimum 60 for two different 30euro locks based on decathlon ones. A U lock and a chain/mini U lock. Think my ones total about 160 for my bike and they were on sale. I have Fagheddaboutit and a mini U Orange with chain.

I got u lock steel in shop talbot street. 16euro. Black color.it has. Sealing cap

To stop rain getting in. And holder black to hold lock on bike when its not in use. I d don,t know decalthon. Is that an online store my experience is any chain can be cut ,but its a good option to lock wheels while using a u lock to lock the main bike frame ,i always lock the back,wheel and frame if i,m going to in shop, work for more than 10 minutes

Post edited by riclad on

My point was you need two locks, preferably of two different types, grinders that get through U locks struggle with chains bouncing around and bolt cutters aren't strong enough for U locks. At a minimum a decent U lock that will get through your rear wheel and frame as you have described but the secondary to get your front wheel and frame. Make sure the U lock doesn't have enough space to get a bottle jack in, and the chain/other isn't so tight that it is easier to cut. I certainly wouldn't settle for one lock, if it is good quality get a second one or a different type of one.

yes i think 2 locks are needed i just bought 2 standard u lock ,cost 16 x2 = 32 euro. cos i was in a hurry,

unfotunately i locked my bike in dublin 1, this morning at 9am i discovered it, ok, 2 u locks, but some gouger hit the back wheel,

bent it, tyre and tube ok, now i need to buy a new 26 inch back wheel .

2 bikes on either side are fine , undamaged

today i,m going to go to a garda station at 11 pm and lock it there ,at the bike stands

eg where i,m staying theres no room for large mountain bikes to be left after 11pm .

Post edited by riclad on

• Advertisement

Used to live near Noctors, scumbags couldn't bust my lock so they put a sledgehammer through the frame. Scum is scum unfortunately. Sorry for the hard luck.

I left my bike near the gpo, over night using a steel lock, they robbed the handlebars off the bike.that street is monitored by security camera,s 24/7.

Advertisement