Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance

• 20-09-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Any insurance websites I look at have €4000 for vet fees. Realistically how expensive can surgery get for dogs? I'd imagine more than 4k. Their websites don't say anything about long term rehab or medication, are these things even covered?

Our dogs are a 6 year old GSD and 5 month old Poodle. The GSD is more expensive to insure, probably due to age and restricted breed.

We do have a decent amount of money left aside for them if anything goes wrong, considerably more than the insurance cover for vet fees. Our last GSD never needed the vets except for routine teeth cleaning, vaccines and spaying all of which wouldn't be covered, current GSD is the same so far.

So is it really worth it? €600 per annum seems excessive. If they don't need to see a vet for 6/7 years you already have the 4k vet fees saved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Anything kind of major I’d say you’re looking at around €2500 from our experience. When my girl had kidney failure we almost hit the 4K in a matter of months.

Really it’s about how much you can get your hands on quickly in an emergency.. we had an emergency last year and it was about €2500 and I had to pay half before they operated.. We’ve claimed at least 20k in 13 years so yep - I’m a fan of insurance(!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had to have investigations for our cat last year which led to monthly vet visits + blood tests for 6 months. The medication was off licence so we couldn't claim for it, but we did manage to claim back about €1700 in fees for various tests, ultrasounds, etc. I think our excess with Allianz was only about €100/€150 though. No idea where you're seeing a €600 excess, but I'd recommend going with Allianz either way.

Bear in mind, it's €4000 per year too, not lifetime. It's like any insurance - it's not worth it until you need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

When I got my chap (rescue unknown history) I took out insurance for him with Allianz, thank god I did.

€100 excess per claim.

He has had knee surgery, and on going monthly injections . Plus Immunotherapy. Including vet's visits when he flaires.( so that's two claims every year =€200. It gone up about €25 each renewal. still under €300 per year.

without insurance it would be costing me up to €300 per month

also a big fan of pet insurance 😍

Advertisement