Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confess, Fletch - Jon Hamm is Fletch in Fletch 3.

• 19-09-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

Here is one I didn't see coming a 3rd Fletch movie with Jon Hamm replacing Chevy Chase as Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher

It is getting good reviews.

Got a limited cinema release in the States and is heading for Showtime & Paramount+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I loved the Fletch movies when I was a kid, but I don't buy Hamm as the character (from that trailer).

The story of how Kevin Smith's attempt to make a Fletch movie fell apart is interesting, and provides another data point in the "Chevy Chase is an asshole" narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Buy him as Fletch or Chase, because Hamm’s take is meant to be fairly close to the book’s character.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,927 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hamm can do comedy well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fletch was a series of books? Huh. You learn something new every day.

That trailer looks very breezy fun by all accounts and yeah, have heard this has been reviewing well. Wonder if one needs knowledge of the Chase films.

It is quite something how spectacularly Chevy Chase flushed his clout down the toilet. Not like professional àssholes haven't risen to the top before - and stayed there. Chase just seemed to burn out so comprehensively. He should have been grateful Community gave him a second, late career chance, but he píssed that away too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watched this last night and enjoyed it.

Nothing new in it but Hamm is good as Fletch and its an easy watch.

Kinda film you would expect to see on Saturday evening TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I never heard a thing about this until now! I only re-watched then first Fletch a few months ago, it still stands up well I think. I haven't seen the second one in a long time but used to like it when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I don't think Hamm works in this. Which is a pity, cause he can really nail some parts he plays. But hasn't seemed to find a groove since Mad Men ended.

Chevy Chase presented an absolute masterclass of timing and delivery in "Fletch" and "Fletch Lives"

This looks a bit Hamm-y but no doubt will catch it at some point.

And no Faltermeyer - what?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting interview with director Greg Mottola into the challenges even a film in an established series, with a successful director and recognisable star can face. The film just dumped out there without any promotion by a studio that seemingly couldn't care less about it. Bleak, but admirably frank from Mottola about the process involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It probably hasn't helped the film is a sequel to a series that became quickly forgotten once "Chevy Chase" was cause for alarm, not box-office success. Even for those who might have been old enough to remember it (35+ maybe?), I get the impression few actually do. Was the series even much of a success outside America?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A bit off topic, but in terms of studio interference I seem to remember Adventureland being marketed as a whacky American Pie type teen comedy when in was anything but.

Managed to catch this and this was such an odd fish. Had a very off the cuff, loose sensibility to it; not feeling improvised as such but all the energy of something playing it all very casual, script to cast. The big finale wasn't so much underwhelming as it was just aggressively straightforward.

most of the humour landed, some proper funny moments too but it was relaxed bordering on comatose sometimes as well. Hamm was a very charismatic lead - but then it's John Hamm, so d'uh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and I absolutely loved it. It's a cracking film and I'm amazed it hasn't gotten any publicity really. I've seen a lot of movies lately that have been marketed to death and they turned out to be complete turkeys and then here's this movie which is really well done and a lot of fun and there were less than 10 people in the screening I went to. Go figure......anyway check this out, you won't be disappointed

Advertisement