Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Warranty Advice on 2016 - C220D - 650eur 1 year or 1,050 for 2 year.. Is it worth it ???

Options
  • 18-09-2022 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,

Looking for some advice or at least some peace on mind, I'm making the right choice..

Bought a car, from large dealer, with offices across Ireland.. Have option to purchase warranty - 650eur 1 year or 1,050 for 2 year cover.

Seems fairly steep to me ? - I mean, it would want to be fairly substantial to issue to make up 1,050eur worth work?

Looking for some advice ? Car - C-Class 2016 C220D Auto, 130km on clock..

Comments

It's dependent on what the warranty covers and how much you value it. I bought a car off a large main dealer it was a 2017 a month ago and they gave me a 2 year warranty on all items except for clutch (subject to an inspection), tyres and standard wear & tear items and I'd be expecting the same if I was buying a Mercedes.

If it's a 2 year warranty with a third party company to be honest I'd walk away from the deal. If they aren't going to offer you at least a year of warranty themselves with the car, I'd be asking serious questions as to why?

The thing with the Audi, BMW and Mercedes cars are if they are well looked after they can be the best car you can own, but at the 5+ year mark in my experience if they haven't gotten the proper maintenance done they can be extremely expensive to get right and with the high price of 2nd hand cars at the minute it's definitely something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Steep compared to what OP? Is the warranty dealer inhouse or a third party warranty from the likes of mapree or car protect?

Remember, a 2016 car is approaching 8 years old now and has a higher risk of needing repairs than say a 4 year old car, this is factored into the price of the warranty. It will be nearly 10 years old by the time the 2 year warranty would expire so the dealer has to cover themselves to a certain extent. Most cars of that age would probably get a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty so €1050 to have some peace of mind until a car is nearly 10 years old is not bad, however it boils down to the terms of the warranty too. Most third party warranties are more like insurance policies against mechanical breakdowns and have lots of exclusions as well as having to pay an excess on any claim.

Advertisement