Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators cold at the bottom but hot at top

Options
  • 17-09-2022 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Had a leak and a plumber came and fixed it. He drained the system completely and added a water tank in the attic. I have a back boiler stove which heats the radiators if this makes any difference. Anyway all fixed, radiators bled and I lit the stove. But now the radiators are all hot at the top, cold at the bottom and the pipe is hot leading into it but then no heat at the bottom. What can I do without having to call and pay the plumber again?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Turn off half or more of the rads. See if the others heat up all over, with a good fire on. This will help identify if you have a heat output problem.

If you still have cold spots, it could suggest sludge in the bottom of the radiator.

How did it work before he added the water tank. Did it just have a pressure vessel?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ch1981

Yes it just had a pressure clock, thats now gone. I turned half of the radiators off last night but still not hot all the way down. Would balancing them make a difference? I'm saying that like I know how to do it, I don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How many rads do you have? Is it single storey or with upstairs house? Are all radiators similarly affected or just certain ones? If an upstairs, do they heat fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The same happened to me, it turns out the rads were full of gunk and had to be replaced.

Not sure if it's the same since all the rads are the same, my case only a couple had to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ch1981

It's single storey 9 rads. It's all the radiators, although the ones furthest from the boiler have very little heat but that's always been the case. The others were all fine before the system was drained and water tank put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

In the same boat, had system flushed but was told the the 2-3 heaters downstairs are full of sludge and cleaning didnt work.

Plan to replace these 3, but was looking at options.

1. steel radiators.
    2. aluminum
    3. electric heaters ( already have a medium sized solar setup, and new bedroom in attic is electric heater only)

adding to thread as i hope my questions would be similar to original poster.

Advertisement