Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home Car insurance while living abroad

Options
  • 16-09-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm going abroad for 6 months, keeping the house here and will be back for about a week per month for work. I was hoping to use my car when I come back. However, the insurance company is saying that because I'm no longer a permanent resident in Ireland, I won't be covered and the insurance will have to be cancelled or suspended.

Is this accurate? has anyone come across anything similar.

Thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Miscreant

To be considered resident in the state you have to be here more than 183 days in a calendar year.

For insurance purposes, that is a different kettle of fish. They can have whatever definition they want for residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Normal residence requirements

Your normal residence generally is:

• the place where you usually live for at least 185 days each calendar year because of occupational and personal ties
    • if you live in two different countries due to occupational and personal ties, the country of your personal ties provided:
      • you return there regularly
      • or
      • you are working abroad carrying out a task of definite duration for less than one year.
    • not affected by living abroad to study.

Above is the definition of normal residence from revenue website.

According to that, considering you are keeping the house here, and that you return here regularly, and that you're working abroad carrying a task of definite duration which is less than one year, I can't really how how possibly could you be considered non-resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

After 'having it out' with the insurer using the information above, they relented and allowed me to keep my insurance in place while abroad. They did say it was a once off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Oh how nice of them ;)

I'd rather like to think that they agreed, because they knew that they wouldn't have a leg to stand if they cancelled your policy or voided it in case of a claim because of your circumstances (temporarty short term move abroad with fully keeping residence in Ireland according to current laws).

Glad it worked fine for you.

Advertisement