Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment question

Options
  • 16-09-2022 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. Can anyone advise if I can use these two pieces of equipment together to remove varnish from wood:

Compressor:

Einhell 4010440 Compressor TE-AC 270/50/10 (1800 W, Max. 10 Bar, 50 L Tank, Pressure Reducer, Non-Return/Safety Valve, Drain Plug, Vibration-Absorbing Legs), 71.0 cm*103.0 cm*41.0 cm

£210

&

Blue Soda 7 Portable Soda Blasting pot

£90

Thanks for all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is this a floor?

If so it wouldn't be my first choice, you'll be up to your tits in blasting sand.

A belt sander would be my choice or you can even hire a proper floor belt sander.

Even if its not a floor sand blasting will leave the grain all uneven as it attacks the softer grain more than the hard. Unless you want that look.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Looks like a no to me on a quick view re their compatibility

Blaster needs 18cfm

Comp gives 7.5cfm

(cubic/ft/min)

As stated by The Co Op, it may not be the right option at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10 raffs

The blaster is to use Soda not sand and will be used to remove varnish from the crevices in stair spindles, sorry I should have added that in the opening post.

I know it will be a mess, but so has sanding and I've been left with little bits I can't get with sandpaper or chemical strippers.

I plan to seal doors off the hallway with plastic and then attach drop cloths over the architrave. The house is getting redecorated and all areas will be getting cleaned/painted so the mess isn't an issue for me.

Which of the following compressors match best:

SGS 100 litre Direct Drive Air Compressor - 14.6CFM 3.0HP:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajueVfhbmt4F-vTt5wgcipKdCBT9FmNFrqzYQvQ1U65YlGuEqyd5o2caApjMEALw_wcB

or

50L Raider 15/550 3HP 14.5cfm

https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/compressor-50l-raider-15550-3hp-145cfm-1176-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajvuYHj5gZEDZA-QRSGQTtlHLfFp21_zwUZs5aY8tJiOWlI1NiHvs0saAmmjEALw_wcB

I am basing these on a pairing titled Soda Blast Kit. Hobby Soda Blasting Kit at Sandblasters.co.uk:

https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/soda-blast-kit-hobby-soda-blasting-kit-1207-p.asp

Thanks for the help guys.

Essentially they are the same compressor with a different tank. Your last link sort of explains how the tank size will affect how you work. Basically bigger tank means you can work longer before the motor kicks in. Both are just below the necessary volume (cfm) as is the one in the last link, but that doesn't mean they won't work. You'll find you can work for a bit maybe a minute or two (hopefully longer) then the motor kicks in to run the compressor to top up the tank then you are ready to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

If it's for a 'once off' would it make more sense to hire a much bigger compressor with suitable regulator etc. There's nothing like having that extra pressure always on stand by when you're sweating it under space suit, goggles, dust maks etc.

• Advertisement

Nice idea but have you hired anything recently? Prices are mad, with VAT for a weekend one the right size will be €200 and the week well over €300. https://www.hss.ie/g/61621/Air-Compressor.html Doesn't make buying that bad an idea.

Op, put up a pic of the spindles showing the difficult to reach areas. It may spark off some other ideas of products/methods that could save you in the long run

Hi guys. Thanks for getting back to me.

I had thought of hiring but I couldn't hire a soda blasting pot near me so I would have to buy it anyway. The compressor would be something I'd be wanting to keep as I would like to strip the doors in the house (if I ever sand anything after these b&*%&*d stairs). It seems a waste of money to have to rent to finish the spindles and then have to rent again next year to do the doors. It would be cheaper to buy the kit and have it as the compressor can be used for other jobs and will always be there.

I know the last two compressors don't have the CFM but then I was basing it on what was being sold by the sandblasting company, the Raider compressor is offered with the kit so I figured it would be fine for the job.

I am not wedded to any equipment and would appreciate anyone's opinion of what would be a good (and not too expensive) kit.

The photos are a great idea, they aren't world class but do show the bits left behind. I have used paint strippers and sandpaper to get them to the state in the photos. I know I could keep sanding and will eventually get it all off but it is very slow and I just think the blasting would speed things on no end (as well as leaving me tooled up for future jobs)

As you can see I have to remove the little bits of varnish and give a final run with a fine sandpaper/steel wool and will then be ready for their 1st coat of varnish.

Thanks for looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wouldn't a little electric mouse sander sort that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above sometimes people look for the most complex solution as they think it will be easier or quicker.

Often the dumbest one that's staring you in the face is the right one.

Small mouse sander and a podcast you'll fly through it.

• Advertisement

Emery cord would be ideal for the concave areas

As I always say "a job is never too small to need new tools".

One question that has not been asked or answered is what is the final finish going to be? I think that makes a big difference. If its a paint finish then your ready to go, I can only assume you want to varnish them again?

Hi guys. A wee sander won't work, tried that along with stripper and a hook. What I can use is rough sandpaper creased and to go at it very slowly. I can get it done but I have many MANY hours of work left and was hoping to minimise the time spent as I have already spent around 200 hours on the feckin things and pain issues I have in my hands and back are exacerbated by the sanding.

The final finish will be varnish, I didn't mention that until my last post sorry. There will be at least 2 coats of clear varnish, maybe 3 depending on the finish of the 2nd.

I've not heard of emery cord before, will that fit into very acute crevices? The pictures don't do justice to the little deep narrow areas.

A bit of googling and checking youtube videos came up with this stuff which I've never heard of before Flexible Sanding Sheets

Certainly looks the job? I'd finish with the 200 grit on those spindles but might want the 100 grit to get the last of the vanish off.

I've just watched a video on YouTube, dear God, Jesus, Mary, Joseph and all their neighbours and mates - where has this stuff been?

General Zhukov, I salute you sir. That is my solution and a hell of a lot cheaper and cleaner. God damn, I was busting my balls with sandpaper and leaving my hands cramped and aching.

NOW! OK I am no longer looking for a soda blasting kit, my wallet thanks all for helping BUT, I still need some advice on the cord - any ideas on the size of the chord or is it all the one thickness?

Thanks again to all who posted, I really appreciate the help.

Emery cord is made in various sizes/diams - not too sure about its availability in Ireland though. Google emery cord

Scotch-Brite could be a runner too and widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP get some 120 grit Abranet for sanding the spindles, way better than regular sandpaper or steel wool, if you need proper paint stripper Conservation Technologies, Davitt Road D12, will have it.

I think the cord will also help you put a bit of definition back into those spindles. Some of the detail looks sort of sanded off so careful use of the cord could help remedy that. I was just looking at this youtube short

btw OP if you really want a compressor the ones that Lidl have occasionally are fine (mine is 10 years old at this stage) you can get one for about €100 and it will do most jobs that don't need a vast air flow like the sand blasting. Mine is set up at the back of the garage with a long extension hose to the front where I plug in a flexible hose, so its handy for jobs outside without moving it and quick jobs like tyre inflation.

The video posted by The Continental Op was the one I watched which showed the cord as a solution to removing the remaining varnish and as TCO says - put a bit of definition in the spindles.

I live in the north so should be able to get it delivered OK. Thanks for the heads up on the emery paper too.

• Advertisement

Don't forget varnish is an unforgiving finish. You will need to finally sand with a very fine abrasive before its ready for the varnish. That means you'll need fine versions of whatever abrasive gets all the varnish off.

That post ^ reminded me - when you eventually get to the 'prep finished stage' and they feel as smooth as glass, be aware of this. After the first coat of varnish has dried fully, you will probably notice things are not so smooth after all.

What generally happens is that tiny wood fibres pop up and it all gets a bit hairy. At this stage another quick sanding is required. The scotch-brite I linked above would be perfect for this as it would cover a larger surface area so don't just focus on the emery cord.

I used to be a painter and decorator in a past life so I am well aware of what lies ahead - after I finish the prep it gets coat 1 of clear varnish. It then gets a day to dry and then sand down the raised grain it will bring up. Clean well, leave a day and clean well again (get all dust particles or as many as possible to settle) and 2nd coat varnish. Depending on how well that takes will dictate if the stairs get a third (the tread part of the stairs WILL be getting 3 coats to protect).

Guys thanks very much for the help, it's saved me a few quid, although I'll not get to delay finishing any longer :)

Advertisement