Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countback query - 36 holes, home and away

Options
  • 15-09-2022 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi All, we play a 2 leg, 36 hole, overall event with another club. Stroke play with net prizes.

Last 2 years, 1st leg has been played at our place, 2nd leg at their place. This may change year on year depending on clubs' calendars.

Struggling to find an specific rule here but how should a countback work.?

Best last card, last 9, last 6, last 3 of 2nd round?

or should it be players' home/away round?

If second round is used, i feel the home club in first round are at a disadvantgae in a countback.

Anyone play similiar events?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Haven't played or seen similar but wouldn't aggregating both cards be the fairest thing to do?

And then do your back 9,6,3 etc from the aggregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I’d have thought last 9 etc of the second leg, it’s effectively the final round of a two round tournament. But don’t know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That would be the logical way but it seems that they're trying to find a solution to the problem that home/away legs may not rotate each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yeah i don't think there is a rule for this. probably up to the comp secretaries to sort it but I think different rules are applied each year depending on which comp sec is involved. They swap responsibility each year.

This year the away comp sec certaintly hasn't done it on 2nd round score or i would be out of the prizes.

So he's either done an aggregate of both back 9s or taken players home course back nine which suits me.

I don't like the idea of second round back 9 as this gives advantage to club hosting 2nd round each year in countbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Fairest way maybe to just toss a coin to determine whether it's round 1 or 2 that's weighted higher in a countback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement