Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership advice/suggestions

Options
  • 15-09-2022 1:13pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a returnee to the game after 15 or so years out, and am looking to join somewhere to get a proper handicap, and participate in a club.

I'm living in Stepaside, and won't have an enormous amount of time to play, so would be looking for somewhere local-ish.

Ideally I'd like somewhere with a pay & play option (i.e. lower membership cost offset by paying per round), but would be prepared to pay a full membership for the right price. A joining fee is beyond my price range.

Would anyone have any suggestions or advice on this? All information gratefully received.

I'd also hope to join the Boards society in January, will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Grange Castle, about 20-25 mins drive from Stepaside and do a Pay&Play option.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

There was a thread here recently on someone looking to join a club in the wicklow area. Plenty of options suggested but outside of grange castle already mentioned i'm not aware of any pay to play courses in your vicinity

There is of course Stepaside Golf Club itself, its 9-holes, and think it might be just public, but if you're looking for low overhead & playing very irregularly, I guess it could be an easy option for ya?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ideally I'd like to join a "proper" club, with a social side etc. but I don't think I can justify the cost of this, especially as most clubs in my area have prohibitive joining fees.

I looked at a distance membership from a club in North Wexford, where I have connections, but this sort of defeats the purpose of playing somewhere close, and I'm not sure of the requirements around playing to maintain handicap (e.g. do my first 3 rounds have to be on that course?)

So somewhere that does a membership with pay & play seems to be the answer. There are a few around, and I'm researching others. I want a membership to get a GUI handicap, to measure my progress and allow me play in competitions with friends in other clubs.

I appreciate the suggestions, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's probably too far but you won't do better than Blessington Lakes for a P&P membership. €150 for a year and the course is always in great nick. I was a member there up until this year when I joined a course much closer to my house but would def recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

It's a bit far, I'm afraid - 45 mins or so.

Lisheen Springs looks interesting - the membership fee is offset against the green fees you'd pay. You can top up if needed, but only in increments of €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭coillcam

Honestly, I don't know the Dublin scene in terms of joining fees and regular subs. Other posters and yourself would be better clued in. I know you said you don't have a lot of free time too.

However, I had a mate who was a member in a Dublin club a few years back. Can't remember if it was Castleknock (the wrong location for you I know) or somewhere else but it had a €2k sub which included credits. The credits IIRC were for offset against green fees, bar or shop. I believe the green fees were capped at €X and essentially freerolling afterwards. The incentive was to promote the members to interact with the club as opposed to being car park golfers. My mate always ended up with leftover credits at the end of the year. Either bought clubs or clothes from the pro shop.

Maybe there's an option like this available somewhere local that wouldn't work out too bad for your situation...?

Yes, castleknock do the credit system, and you can use the credit anywhere in thr resort I believe, not just in the Golf club

They don't mention the credit system on their website, although it may just be that it's not specified. 2k is a bit beyond my range as well. Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I'm in a similar boat to you and live near enough....i used to be a flexi member in lisheen until they upped the cost from 400 to 500 and also the cost per round so I changed to a 5 day membership which isn't that much more expensive if you play that bit more. I cant really play weekends so makes sense to me .....i like it as a course....not too challenging but interesting enough to keep your attention. Condition is pretty good too though the bunkers aren't great but that wouldn't be unusual for your non championship course. Can be a bit boggy in the winter like most parkland. I'd definitely look into it in your situation.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Also OP, based on recent research of options, there isn't a huge amount out there for sensible money within 30 minutes or so....lisheen would be one of the few options....other spots are either too pricey if you don't play much or hard to get into or both!

Lisheen is a good spot. Driving range on site, chipping and putting greens. Nice course that's a fair test.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Slade Valley are doing a good deal until the end of 2023. It's in good condition and is a good test. Only a few minutes further past Lisheen coming from your side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s €1500. It is Castleknock. Probably no more than 25 mins from you. Ideal if you need to kit yourself out with some gear, clubs, shoes, bag etc. could easily be dropping a few hundred just getting started. If you then play a few rounds there to get your handicap and then you can play wherever with you buddy’s.

PM me if you are interested in knowing more….. or when you want to join the society

Advertisement