Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic Recommendations for a Timing Belt Replacement

Options
  • 15-09-2022 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic/workshop who can replace Timing Belt + Water Pump for Kia Rio 2007 in Co Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow, etc for a reasonable fee? Planning to buy the parts online and hoping to get them replaced by an independent mechanic instead of going to the Kia dealership

I have 164K Kms on this car. Timing belt was replaced(gates brand) once before at 90K kms by the previous owner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

CityView autos in Bohernabreena are a great bunch of lads. Been using them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know this is an old thread, I hope you got sorted. Typically I would not recommend buying the parts yourself. You pay vat while mechanic pays lower vat. Also if parts are wrong mechanic can often get different parts same or next day. This means with wrong parts car can still be fixed in a day. Mechanics often get discounts on parts which they may or may not pass along. Some can overcharge for parts as in ad a supply hidden fee.

Also compare main dealer prices. I got a quote from main dealer of 50 euro less than other main dealer and 50 euro cheaper than local back street garage even after a haggle so main dealers can be cost competitive.

I know this is the DIY section but know your limits and often a local place is far closer and easier and if you value your time often a main dealer may be worth it.

Advertisement