Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not able to get car insurance

Options
  • 15-09-2022 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I have just purchased a car from a dealer. It is an imported car. Reg number is not showing up on insurance websites. When I try to call insurance companies than they dont have same model version as I have (I have 1496cc car but they dont have that car in there database). However the car reg number is showing on cartell and motor tax website (I got RF100 form via POST). I am unable to tax the car nor able to take the insurance. The dealer is not really helpful.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SAHEJ

Toyota auris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, that 1.5L Auris was only sold in Japan, that's why you're getting difficulty with the 'computer says no' type of insurance systems you're dealing with.

I'd suggest ringing around some insurance brokers like 'Quote Devil' or 'First Ireland' as they will be more used to 'non-standard' situations and should be able to help you out.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Liberty Insurance insure Jap imports. Might be worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

If you say you identify as a woman, would you be able to get cheaper insurance...;)

The EC Single Market (under the Maastrict Treaty) was supposed to allow you to get services (and insurance would be one of those services) in any EU Country, however it is so hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A co worker was insured by Just for women for a while, his wife wasn't. Cheaper insurance for female's was banned years ago.

EU insurance companies don't want to enter our mess of a market. We can't have Polish insurance prices with our litigious nature and generous judiciary. The few EU companies who entered our market left lots of people uninsured and out of money when they collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I remember Setanta Insurance registered in Malta tried and went bust but for some reason the tax payer here picked up the tab for that mess and not the Maltese government considering that the company was regulated in Malta, the mind boggles as usual here.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

If it is legal costs here which protect the Irish Insurance companies from foreign competition within the European Single Market, this highlights the scam that is our litigious processes and courts, which is something we all know our government should address, since it inflates all our insurance prices.

I was in the believe that it was just awkward but not impossible to get insured abroad.

Advertisement