Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Christmas Markets

• 14-09-2022 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Planning a Suprise trip to a European city Christmas market for OH sometime early December for 2-3 nights, any recommendations? I have Shortlisted

Budapest - because it came first in Euro poll of best Xmas market 2021 and previously pre covid. Seems good value destination and relatively accessible by EI and FR.

Munich - My drinking buddies endorse it as Germans invented Christmas markets, more expensive than Budapest and only served by EI, but allegedly best of German cities.

Other Cities, Basel, Strasbourg, Vienna, Prague...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wroclaw in Poland puts on a good market. Used to be Breslau.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Liseberg Christmas Market in Gothenburg is the best one I've been to. Gothenburg is a great city to visit on top on it. Brussels Christmas market is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭BK5

Youtube have videos which list the top ten cities to see at Christmas if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Munich is hard to beat for the markets (PLURAL) as theres over a dozen across the city ranging from the massive main one at the town hall, a crib figure market at the Rindermarkt, a medieval one, a pink (gay pride) one, an eco friendly one (with a chunk of the stalls in tents, so good if weather is cr@p) Tollwood, upmarket artistic stuff at Münchener Freiheit, a more child friendly one at the Royal Palace at Odeonsplatz, ice skating and a mini christmas market at Karlsplatz (which is in doubt due to the energy crisis) and then just nice compact ones in various city districts and the Chinese Tower one which are more focused on the food but allow you to avoid crowds especially at the main one at the weekends.

Of course then you can hop on a train and head to Nürnberg to the worlds biggest christmas market, and they have a name for special christmas biscuits so thats also worth a spin if you had time. Pretty much every town around Munich has their markets too including ones at Tegernsee lake and pre covid you could go hopping from village to village by boat to the markets at the weekend, but not sure if thats going to happen this year.

Anyhow, I am sure various cities all put on a good show with their one single market but if you did decide on Munich you wouldnt be stuck for choices.

Another easy to get to option would be Frankfurt, but more taking advantage of the airport than for frankfurt city or its market, and then youre near various cities in the Rhein-Main area there like Mainz, Darmstadt, etc https://www.frankfurt-tipp.de/en/specials/christmas-markets-in-and-around-frankfurt.html

Alsace etc would also be a good option. The towns are stunning (even without a market) but if you havent a car then somewhere like Munich/ Frankfurt etc might work out better. https://www.upperrhinevalley.com/en/christmasmarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Only been to Budapest for Christmas markets, so can't comment on other suggestions.

Can say that Budapest is a great city & relatively inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Did Brussels once a few years ago with the kids. Couldn't fault it. Cheap flights too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We've booked Frankfurt.

Friday to Sunday flights in early December were €80pp with Lufthansa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Curveball, the market in Madrid is great and there's mild weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I've done several - highlights - the largest markets were in Vienna but, despite the number of markets in the city they were repetitive. Munich as already mentioned I thought was great, a large 'central' market but lots of others spread around with different themes - loved the variety. Munich was good fun too (beer halls). Krakow is small but a lovely market at the Linenhall, low cost and plenty to explore. Never done Budapest as a Christmas market but I have been told by a friend who keeps an apartment there that prices are rising. Berlin was very good for a combination of city break and Christmas markets but with Germany for markets alone, Munich was better.

Zagreb gets highly reviewed and on my list to visit for Christmas - worth a google? Also, on my to visit list is Salzburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Agreed on Munich, have been to a good few markets so far and Munich is still my favourite. The variety of different markets dotted around the city keeps it interesting over a few days, something I haven't really seen in other cities. We're thinking about Nuremburg this year as there's direct flights with FR and its coming in at around €80 - 90 return. How do they compare with Munich? The fact they are the largest piqued my interest.

We did Tallinn and Riga last year, having heard great things about the Tallinn markets. The ones in Riga were unfortunately cancelled due to covid and the Tallinn markets were reduced in size significantly but it was a nice city and I imagine they'll be in full swing again this year, we were just glad to be able to do it given the situation at the time. The only thing to note was that Tallinn was very very cold, definitely the coldest place I've been so far at -18C on our first day, temperature rose after that but it was definitely tougher to acclimatise than I've had before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Nürnberg is always worth a spin.

The market itsself is not much different to the main one in Munich but the city is nice and should you want to check out something different you are a short spin from Bamberg or Rothernburg ob der Tauber, and Regensburg is also no distance (Regensburg market(s) supposedly the best of the 3)

Also, Nürnberg airport is one of the handiest airports to get to. Its only 5km from the main station (where most hotels are) with very regular ubahns even from early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I enjoyed Hamburg and I've no interest in Christmas markets - was a great city break and flights were dirt cheap in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Been to quite a few in Germany, Munich, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Heidelberg and there are broad similarities. I'd suggest Munich though for the reason others have mentioned namely that there are several different markets dotted around the centre. One of these is a Medieval Market which has all the stallholders dressed in period costume together with musicians etc. Might sound corny but it's actually very atmospheric and kids love it. For me also, one thing Munich has above the others is the fantastic beer halls.

Nuremberg is also considered one of the best in Germany so you'd probably do fine there also. Rothenburg ob der Tauber, mentioned by munchkin_utd is a fantastic market in a beautiful old town but would require a trip out from whereever you fly into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

I visited Hamburg in December 2019 and thought it was one of the nicest cities in Germany (I've been alll over Germany, but not at Christmas admittedly).

Lübeck is also a worthwhile day trip from Hamburg. There's a very good Christmas market and as it's the home of Niederegger, it's heaven if you like marzipan!

Nuremberg and Dresden are usually considered the best Christmas markets of the large cities in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is only 1.25 hours by train from Nuremberg. Ryanair fly there from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Well feck this thread anyway. Hadn't realised until I read it earlier that Ryanair now fly to Nuremburg from Dublin and couldn't help myself. Flights and hotel booked for December. As well as the markets I've a big interest in WWII so it's a no-brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Nürnberg is amazing at any time of the year as it’s so cheap regarding accommodation, and is beautiful with the old city walls and old style Germanic architecture. It’s like a mini Munich.

As mentioned, the airport there is also a joy as it’s quiet, efficient and only a 15 minute metro ride to the city centre.

Advertisement