Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone switched from Android to IOS?

Options
  • 14-09-2022 7:29pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about heading back to iPhone, would be going from a Note 9 to possibly a iPhone 13 pro or iPhone 14pro.

Anyone who has done it, any regrets?

Think I’ll make final decision once new pixel phone comes out.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was forced to in work many years ago.

It's awful. Hugely locked down and limited OS, features that just get broken and take years of updates to fix (setting an alert for emails from a specific address was one - the UI was there for it but it didn't do anything), sharing stuff between apps needs you to use Dropbox in lieu of a filesystem. It was everything bad I was told it could be and more.

I went back as soon as I was let - there was a rule that staff over a certain grade had to have Apple, and below had Windows - and then Android when Windows phones became obsolete; but a change in ownership changed that to every grade had their own budget and could get what they wanted in budget. And that budget bought a hell of a lot of processor, battery, storage and RAM on Android.

This was a lower budget than you're looking at. But the OS is the OS; I don't see how throwing hundreds of euros more at it will fix the fact that its backwards and constraining.

Completely agree. The limits of iOS drove me mad. I have a 512gb z fold 4 and nearly 140gb of high Res flac files. I'm pretty sure it's a right pain in the hole to play flac on iOS.

The whole repair crap that Apple do is also a joke. Nowadays you pretty much can't repair and iPhone yourself. You have to go to Apple and get absolutely shafted. Broke the back glass on your iPhone? That'll be upwards of €500 please. I worked as a phone repair tech and the vast majority of phones I looked at were iPhones that just stopped working. Nothing happened, they just stopped. Motherboard usually gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I moved to iOS earlier this year as work gave me an iPhone and didn’t want to carry 2 phones. Honestly there’s so little difference between iOS and android these days. Everyone has the preference and if I was paying for a new phone tomorrow it would probably be an android one but now that custom roms and jail breaking isn’t really needed/done anymore the gap between them is even smaller. iOS will be slightly more polished but way more locked down. That’s really the only difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Started off on Android back in the day. Went through several phones. Eventually switched to iOS, only had 2 iphones (SE and then an 8). Switched back to Android about 2 months ago. From my point of view on how I use phones there's no difference between Android or iOS (YouTube, WhatsApp, Google Maps etc). Basically it came down to cost, I ended up buying a Motorola G82 5G direct from Motorola for around €280-€300, I forget). Unlocked plus I keep my 48 sim for €7.99 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There is a difference. But only if you use that difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Always been Android / Samsung, recently lost my S22 Ultra (so bummed) so switched to new iPhone Pro Max.

Taking a bit of time to get used to the differences but it's growing more on me. The big issue with the Samsung range was always the battery. Rarely lasting me the day. I've been using my Pro Max since around 8am this morning and it's now at 55%...massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Went from Android to IOS about 5 years ago and never looked back. Mainly the UX and the feeling that the mainstream apps seemed to have a sense that they were built with an "IOS first" attitude. The software just seems alot more consistent and controlled (which is what alot of people dont like about it).

I wouldnt rule out going back at any stage (despite saying I havent looked backed :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Both are very good these days. I tend to change phones a lot for the Craic and would jump between them fairly seamlessly. IOS definitely a bit more polished than Android but that gap has closed over the years. Android slightly more feature packed for quick actions like quick replies or easy access to music controls etc.

I'd disagree with a lot of the negative points above like lack of a file storage system. There is one there including the dedicated files app and it works fine. I've used it for downloading and reading ebooks as well as flinging apk files to my Google TV.

One huge negative is Siri. Its terrible compared to Google Assistant.

A new phone with a massive battery will have better battery life. That said the iphones have better effeciency.

The file storage issue is to keep you in the Apple infrastructure and their cloud infrastructure and subscriptions. Everything in Apple is designed to squeeze every last cent out of the users.

It's very hard to backup an iphone without that. Whereas an Android is basically like a external drive. Simple.

If course not many people will do that. Most People don't backup their phones.

What I see with iphone users is they are always running out of space and have 5 million unread messages/emails.

But there is no doubt Apple eco system and hardware is far more polished and feature rich than Android. But you'll pay through the nose for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 thugtomas

I used Android exclusively for years, and I have a lot of thoughts about iOS now that I'm using an iPhone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks lads. Still havht jumped but food for thought there.

Will see what the new Pixel is like next month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Switched to iOS after years on Android and having all the flagships back in April of this year. I 100% agree with you about Apple and them trying to keep you in their ecosystem as well as to try and squeeze as much out of you as possible! Like 5GB basic iCloud storage is 100% pathetic in this day and age! Even though I like the iPhone 13 Pro Max I have and am happy I moved I will not be paying Apple 1 cent for iCloud storage, they get enough out of my via the cost of the iPhone!

Thank God for Google Photos which I have used for years and will continue to use! Oh, and thank God for bflix which works flawlessly in Safari when all other avenues to watch grey content are blocked on iOS!

Cheers,

M

Advertisement