Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Sockets

Options
  • 14-09-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

With the rise in electricity prices, I'm looking at setting up some smart sockets to switch certain devices off between certain hours. I have some smart timer plugs, but I've just found this smart socket on amazon, which seems interesting.

Anyone got any opinions or experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I've no experience with them but I've been searching for something similar, would it not be easier to put a "shelly plus 2 pm" behind your existing socket? you'd have power monitoring too so you can see exactly how much a device is using?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Shelly Plus 2PM is only rated for 10A per channel and 16A total. Someone comes alongs and plugs a 13A load into the socket and you have an instant fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

would a shelly plus1pm per socket be any safer? I've been trying to figure this out myself, but volts/watts/amps are not my strong point

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I went to put a Shelly 2.5 behind a double socket the other week, and decided against it cause there's only one wire into the socket anyway. Got some 1pm's to put on instead. They're rated for 16A, so you'd still be having a bad time if someone plugged a 13A load into each socket. Though I'm struggling to think of what I have outside the kitchen that'd draw that kinda load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

In the end, I found a couple of Taco smart plugs I'd forgotten about. Loaded up a power strip & set it up with Alexa. It now powers off at 1am & back on at 7pm.. We rarely watch TV before then & if needed, can just ask Alexa to turn it on. Total of four devices now no longer on 24hr standby.

Going to do the same with a bedroom setup also. Very rarely watch TV there, but it's handy to have, sitting on standby most of it's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lewid

How long would the return on investment be on the smart plugs vs the stand by on the TV I wonder. Do you have energy monitoring on the plugs by any chance?

No energy monitoring, but I didn’t pay for the smart plugs, I’d forgotten I had them (6 total), plugged them in, updated their firmware & now Alexa compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

Quick search suggests TVs consume 0.5W to 3W on standby, while smart plugs consume 1-2 Watts.

So they would only make sense for something that consume over 5W and doesn't have built-in timer. They only thing that comes to mind is router (e.g. if you don't need wifi at night or during the day when everyone is out), maybe some poorly built TV boxes - I think some gaming consoles are/were not suspending properly.

I've got a subwoofer, centre speaker, TV & Streaming device plugged into it. The speakers are active and don't power down.

Advertisement