Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot Pin to turn on Phone

Options
  • 14-09-2022 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, random one here & it may not be an issue.

Elderly, technophobe relative is abroad on holidays for the next month.

Somehow deleted a load of apps off phone, including contacts etc.

They want to turn the phone off and back on again. Oppo is the brand of phone. But they think they wont remember the pin you need to enter when turning back on phone. They might be required to enter a pin but they are not sure either.

I know for my phone, it just turns on once I restart it and I dont need a pin to turn it back on.

So it could be similar and they dont need a pin to turn it back on but they are not sure.

If they do need a pin to turn back on but cant remember it, is there a way to reset it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Did they have everything backed up to a google account? If so may be easiest to factory reset and reinstall from Google.

With my phone it has code for screen lock and that same code is therefore required after a restart - not sure with Oppo phones but, logically one would assume if there is a screen lock with code set then it'll be required to restart too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm so far from being an expert, it's not funny, so please treat this with scepticism...

There may be one or two different PINs; a screenlock PIN and a SIM card PIN. On startup, a phone can ask for either, or both, or none of these. It depends on how the phone is configured.

The SIM card PIN can be requested from the network provider (EIR/3/Vodafone/whoever). They should be able to help if that's in place.

A screenlock PIN can't be bypassed on most modern phones. But depending on the model, there may be a way.

Worst case, if the phone is (re)started, it may need to be wiped.

I'd advise backing up anything of value from the phone before it needs to be restarted.

If you want to "test" if you know the screenlock PIN, you might be able to go into the phone's settings (now, without restarting the phone!), and access the "change screenlock PIN" settings. I think it will ask you to confirm the existing screenlock PIN before letting you change it to a new one. So you can test if you (or your relative) knows the PIN before attempting a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I would have thought if there was a screen lock pin it would have activated at some point already and they'd be locked out.

Maybe when they do get back in set up biometrics (fingerprint) as a screen lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Call your network provider and get the puk code, then if it asks you for the sim pin, enter it incorrectly a few times and it'll ask for the puk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's easy enough to go to the settings to see if it is turned on, on most android phones you can easily search settings. Typing "lock" in settings on my phone brought up Screen, fingerprint and SIM lock. If it's active you need your PIN to see it, if inactive you will see the option to turn it on.

Is there any young people around that they can ask for help. Or if you have a 2nd computer you can Google the steps and go through it over a phone call, even better if there is someone else there you can call so both can check the phone.

I would at the very last resort factory reset. If they don't remember their phone PIN there is feck all chance of remembering their Google password and what 2 factor authentication they have set up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement