Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have shorts ruined you tube

Options
  • 13-09-2022 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

since you tube started shorts i feel like the quality of the content has dropped a huge amount. its full of half stories now that make no sence.

channels dedicated to it with no usefull content just shorts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t watch them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i try not to but they are mixed in and hard avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I watch the channels I like, I ignore shorts, alot of gamers from twitch are switching to streaming on YouTube, I see no sign of a fall off in quality, every video site is copying tiktok, with short videos, they have no choice, tik Tok is the no 1 app for people under 30, i read Facebook is pushing videos over other content, if you like some celebs theres probably a few shorts you might like. It's easy to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can disable them. Look it up.

YouTube is ruining itself. Pushes infantile stuff you don't want to see and hides stuff you don't want to see.

Explore in mine is useless. Its full of stuff I no interest in and never watch. Shorts is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s ruined the general YouTube experience is the advertisements, I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes or so watching stuff on YouTube..

now there are even two adds, one directly after another on YouTube during you watching videos…

• YouTube generated $28.8 billion revenue in 2021, a 46% increase year-on-year. I can’t find the profit number but it’s got to be in billions.
    • Over 2.5 billion people access YouTube once a month
    • YouTube Premium reached 50 million subscribers in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's piss easy to never see adds on youtube, even on chrome, you are doing it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

How, pay for Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've found some really good content on YouTube over the last couple of years. I don't bother with any of the shorts crap, I'm at least double the age of the average TikTok user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Melodeon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

No, just install a browser like Brave with a built in ad blocker, that will ensure you never see an ad on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yes, just becoming tiktok II.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

this ^^ ftw any decent adblocker.

How anyone can use the interwebz with no ad blocker is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its very easy to remove all the shorts garbage, also if a particular genre or producer of videos gets boring you can mark them 'not interested' and they disappear. Ads, what ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

This new fad of allowing full length music videos in as adverts is killing the platform for me.

I put on a kids video playlist for my daughter on the weekend to keep her occupied for a little while - she came out of the room after 5 mins all confused and asking me to put the videos back on for her. I went in to see about 10 absolute bellends in hooded jackets grinding up on each other and the worst **** in a bucket style drill music playing over it. Laughed for a good 10 seconds solid before skipping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are not aware how to or of the possibility of not see advertising you clearly are not doing it to yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Read that as "Has shorts ruined your tube" and thought it was a thread about a link between gaa shorts and male fertility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've just recently noticed an increasingly amount of crap stuff on the home screen.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Apparently shorts are mandatory on youtube

When I used to put up videos of meself not wearing any, they kept removing the videos and banning me accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

I find not so much the shorts but the mid video ads are very annoying, as is the like subscribe repetition from those creating videos.

Many good channels are basically businesses producing content and their content is interrupted and corrupted by the broadcast platform while the creators get very little.

The ads seem to be designed to annoy to get you to pay for premium and free, when I would prefer to pay or tip content creators and have no ad breaks, such as if the content creators moved to another platform such as onlyfans or Vimeo where the content was available ad free where 95% of the payment went to the content creators.

I find many channels are going for TV format 30+ minutes videos or waffle unnecessary length, or constraining themselves with weekly videos and weekly live events, while I far rather 20 minutes max videos on a single topic performed well with links to similar videos on other topics, rather than a roundup news type show or covering multiple things one after another in the same video. I can forsee the larger creators moving to non YouTube platforms as they are getting used by YouTube. They might keep teaser videos on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,527 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Quite a few of my subscriptions, have a short video on YouTube and a longer one somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the ones that really anoys me are the 80% of the story type ones. what is the point in telling most of the story and not finishing it

or where they take a longer vi and break it up into pointless little clips that make no sence on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Some shorts are good, that guy "not what you think" is pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I pay for Premium €11.99 a month. I only watch stuff I like, and wouldn't want to limit the choice of others with different tastes. There must be billions of videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

YouTube has gone to the dogs. Anyone remember when YouTube videos had star ratings on the video preview. You could dodge any b.s. clickbate content without even clicking on it, as it would have a very low star rating.

I hate the addition to your search, of videos you might be interested in. You get a few results based on search word, then they just throw in a couple of random videos from your followed channels and suggested that have nothing to do with your searched word.

Same here!

But anyway, I pay for YouTube - uninterrupted videos (as in, when you close your phone it doesn't stop) and YouTube Music instead of Spotify (exact same as Spotify).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I hate the fact that shorts play in a loop instead of ending after playing. I just saw the video and it was short; what makes you think i want to see it again?

Also hate the fact that they're in vertical format. A poorer experience all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think it’s that anyone wants to limit the choices of others with different tastes; a more user configurable experience would be nice is all.

I don’t mind paying for Premium either for what it does offer, I get YouTube Music with it, but there’s no way to turn off the auto-playlist feature that’s generated in YouTube. I understand it’s there to push more content, but I’d like to be able to turn the feature off, same as I’d like to be able to turn Shorts off for an even more seamless, uninterrupted experience.

I’m talking about the YouTube app on iOS btw, I know there are other apps and workarounds on Android, and YouTube in a browser, but I shouldn’t have to do any of those things when I’m paying for Premium and still getting a lemon experience. I don’t care for PiP, but disabling shorts seems like a popular feature request.

It hasn’t ruined YouTube for me though, that’s a bit dramatic, but niche platforms like Floatplane, Nebula and CuriosityStream are now offering quality content that they’re not making available on YouTube. Different markets really, YouTube is going nowhere, but it’d be nice if they offered more features on the Premium subscription model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement