Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bend of the Boyne - Meath

Options
  • 12-09-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I used to visit Boyne Valley in Meath when I was in primary school.

Recently though, a video has appeared on YouTube which throws "Doubt" and "Nowt" on what We were told in primary school.

The YouTube shows the presenter interviewing it alians with a pint of Guinness as the microphone. Newgrange is just a bunch of rubble back in 1962.

Type "Newgrange Discoveries" into youtube, and pick the video with a guy holding a Guinness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Guiness drinking aliens built the pyramids.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 juniperflower41

There's an interesting old caretaker woman about halfway through video, her skin resembles a lizard, in my opinion.

She talks about Billy Goats on dem Hills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "reconstruction" of the front of Newgrange was a farce based on very dubious archaeology and a nod to tourism, but the sites themselves are well researched and dated.

Even so Newgrange was more than a "bunch of rubble"

The entrance was clear as was the decorated stone in front, even the upper lintel roofbox is visible.

Knowth and Dowth and all the other smaller sites are the better preserved. And the site is part of a much larger cultural history that can be found across western Europe in England, France, Spain, Portugal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hi Wibbs,

What year was the archaeological digg, 1962?

Here are some photos from the 1930s, which are quite different,

Here's another photo where the lads from the Big House are reconstructing the passageway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Your first photo from the 1930s shows the stone from the roofbox (the one with the xxxx pattern on it) in pretty much the same condition as Wibbs' photo (which is from the late 19th century)

You may have both got them from this page: http://irisharchaeology.ie/2012/12/images-of-newgrange-through-the-ages/ (well, the're both on it anyway).

There's another one on it that shows the entrance in 1910; an iron gate was installed, and the entrance had been very much cleaned up, although the roobox remained blocked up until the excavations in the 60s.

My dad's family were from Drogheda, and they would occasionally visit Newgrange and the surrounding areas when he was a kid in the 1940s. He used to tell the story of going inside the passageway way by candlelight. There was a point where it got very narrow or partially blocked by dislodged stones. He and his dad were inside one time, heading out, and another group of people were heading in. A fat woman got stuck in the narrow part, trapping them inside for a bit until they got her unstuck.

I think the photos you provided, prove the point, the roofbox mysteriously changes position down the years.

Who owned the land around the Meow'nds when you dad visited in the 1940's ?

If you studied basic physics, the passageway stones could not support themselves and the huge weight of earth on top.

To me, it looks like an old chieftains Stonehouse, on a fairy ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got a flight to America years ago n the loud yank beside me wouldn't stop talking to me. She was yakking on about newgrange n I said I lived nearby. She was jealous n asked how often do I go. I responded I wouldn't go look at that crap - she didn't say another word for the flight - heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you the same poster behind the previous grassalwaysgeener, catastrophetimberg and other similar accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you studied basic physics, the passageway stones could not support themselves and the huge weight of earth on top.

Eh. Yeah, they could and did and in plenty of sites that were largely left alone. Here's one in France(Gavriniz).

At some point after it was abandoned wooden structures around the entrance burnt down and collapsed and was covered with earth until it looked like any small hill and was not rediscovered until the mid 19th century. And that has a lot of stone a well as earth. Stone is extremely strong in compression, narrow passageways with short span lintels with corbelling are also extremely strong. The cultures who built them were masterful craftsmen in stone and knew the material intimately.

These megaliths were part of a large interconnected culture on the western seaboard of Europe for a few thousand years and there are numerous examples of them in Ireland as well as the continent. So unless there was some wild "conspiracy" to build these things, inclduing all the megalithic art found within the, who salted them all with accurately dated artefacts and lined them up to astronomical events(while allowing for progression of the heavens) and added historical references to some of them going back a thousand years across a multitude of sites costing a fortune in each case in the modern era and with no witnesses...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement