Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tabletop Arcade

Options
  • 11-09-2022 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I fancy trying my hand at building a tabletop arcade machine. Is there a handy guide on the forum that I can follow? The search function for the new site on mobile isn't proving very useful.

I reckon I need:

Some MDF

Raspberry Pi

Monitor

Joy con and buttons

Am I missing anything?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

No more like a counter top. Like the top part of a full cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What you are looking to build is a bartop, there are loads of plans on the internet.

On this forum, maybe have a look at Kerbdog’s build thread here

Post edited by CathalDublin on

Yes this is exactly the kind of thing I'm after. Good to see that I can buy the units pre made as I'm sure I'd make a butchers job of doing it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, completely forgot about that thread :) I did end up finishing that bartop. That kit I bought wasn't the cheapest but as you suggested, avoids a butchers job at it :D

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem dear enough now that I've been pointed in the right direction and am pricing materials. I saw a guy on ebay uk selling them but he doesn't ship to Ireland.

I wonder if it would be worth it buying the full size 1up machines from the likes of smyths and modifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

This popped into my YT feed a couple of weeks ago, tempted to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd be really interested in hearing how many folks use this kind of thing once they're built. Would imagine it's more about the process than actually using it. (although I might be wrong, who knows!) The end result with the big widescreen LCD just feels like playing the game on a PC or your TV.

A much more interesting (and authentic!) project for a bartop would be to get your hands on a nice 14 inch CRT and seeing what you could build around it.

Check this out, would actually feel like playing a real arcade machine rather than a PC in a wooden box.

Would be a similar setup, you'd just need to get the video running into the TVs scart socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

At the right price second hand, yes they are prob the better option but you don't get a video in option for the screen. The LCD board can be got but once you factor that into the cost you are laughing - thats the main problem with the Arcade1Up cabs if you want to mod them to have a Pi or even a JAMMA setup in them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's my hope for the 17" NoS crt's we got from the marketplace. I'm absolutely hopeless at woodwork etc, so really need to rely on a flat pack here or someone skilled enough to maybe modify existing plans....its be class having a small crt in a bartop form.

• Advertisement

I found a guy on etsy who sells bartop kits and also decals/controllers/buttons. It makes it much handier for me having it all in one place.

I already have a 24" 1080p Dell monitor that I might use but I think I might prefer a smaller 19" setup.

Do you guys use Pandoras Box or Retropie?

Finally found myself a raspberry pi online today. They're like gold dust lately.

I just need to get the roms now and wait for the pi to arrive and I'm good to start assembling.

I went with a 24" cab with 30mm illuminated buttons and Spanish joystick. Looking forward to the finished product.

Advertisement