Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No work to do in new job and constantly bl9cked when I have asked for more work or used my initiativ

Options
  • 11-09-2022 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I took a promotion about 6 months ago. My line manager is my boss but I actually have a clinical boss too but my line manager is who says what I can and cannot do. My clin8cal boss though she appears not to agree with my line manager does not challenge her. I have now been 6 months in the job. I have no work to do. Every time I engage in work that's agreed, my line manager changes the job and wants it done another way as she feels it is treading on someone else's toes. It's so bad now that I am not now able to fulfill my original job description. Anytime I ask for more work, it's blocked and I don't receive a call or email back about it for over a week. When I try to use my initiate and try to f8nd tasks, I am told not to do so. I am highly trained and the job now does not go anywhere near meeting my l3vel of skill though it is a promotion. My clinical boss appears powerless to intervene. I am feeling demoralised and am losing confidence. I am currently looking for other jobs. Should I approach my line manager again saying that my job does not now concur with my job description, mention that I feel I cannot now even use the most basic level of clinical knowledge or skill in my job. My clinical boss wants me to stay, should I let my line manager know that I am reconsidering whether the job is a goof fit for me given what's occurring. I do somme freelance work,. Money will be tight if I am forced to quit without another post, but I will still be able to eat. It would be helpful if people can let me know what they think might be occurring in this job. I am quite confused by it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would try transfer away from this manager internally first, than in parallel try to get a new job. Because this is driving by a management style and they are unlikely to change. I would not quit unless I had no choice. There is no reason to suffer financially, its not your fault this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

If you are highly skilled in your area than after 6 months of not being allowed to do your job effectively means that your skills are stagnating with no chance on the horizon for you to use them. Start looking for a new job asap and make sure in the interviews to check what type of day to day work you will be doing. Interviews are a two way process. Chalk this up to experience but do not give notice until you have signed the new contract.

Advertisement