Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Extension - Where to Start?

Options
  • 10-09-2022 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

we're planning to plan a house extension but have no idea where to begin. Should we get in an architect first to give us an idea of the scale and possibly a ballpark costing, or go to the banks first to see if sorting a remortgage is possible?

On the remortgage, we were lucky enough to get a County Council mortgage with a low interest rate (just over 2%). I don't know if the County Council do an equity release or would it better heading to a bank and transferring the mortgage?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Architect is better off having an idea of budget, otherwise there's no point. So get that agreed in principle first.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

And where would starting point be for getting an idea if budget, the bank I have my existing mortgage with? An independent broker? Credit union/other bank/mortgage lender?

Advertisement