Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven floor new build

Options
  • 08-09-2022 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

12mm laminate floor is just after going down in my new build and it seems to be a bit bouncy and creaky in several areas. I think it's the sub floor that uneven that's causing it as I can also feel the odd dip in places now.

I had 2 different snaggers and the flooring company all give me the thumbs up that the subfloors were good to go for flooring.

Do you think I have any comeback here?

Would the developer still be on the hook for uneven floors as part of the warranty?

Floors are driving me mad, feels like they're going to snap with too much walking on them.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It’s a common issue with new builds. We bought last year and had to have a screed applied (at our own expense) to level the floor before putting down the flooring.

The developer didn’t want to know about it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Oh that's not good! I think I'm going to have to do the same. Just majorly pissed off that the flooring company didn't pick up on it before laying the floor. They're inspecting the floor now and nobody has mentioned the subfloor as a root cause yet. Feels like they know they made a mistake in not mentioning it before laying the stuff.

Was it expensive to get the floors leveled? Did they need to do upstairs where there's potentially wooden subfloor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

We had a snagger in that gave us the all clear but found a good few issues after, including uneven spots on the floor when laying flooring. The snagger we got was very highly reviewed but didn't seem arsed when doing the snag.

The floor company doubled up on underlay in the problem spots and seemed to do the trick.

Same thing happened us! Snagger had piles of 5 star reviews but he did miss a good few things.

Okay this is brilliant, I might suggest this too the flooring company as so far they're scratching their heads as to why the floor is dipping. I'm guessing they just do not want to acknowledge the fact that they missed a step...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

its unreasonable to expect a perfectly level finish across a poured screed, you'll have minor variations in height due to things like insulation not being fully seated or other discrepancies below the screed.

You dont see much hassle with this when it comes to tiling, as its easy enough for the tiler to apply a slightly thicker layer of adhesive to achieve a level surface.

With laminate, the underlay is a uniform thickness, so any variation in floor levels gets reflected in the finished floor. This can be rectified in as the installer used by Metal Hands did, by adding extra underlay, the other option would have been to use floor leveling compound before fitting the floors (this is a bagged mixture, similar to tile adhesive that flows reasonably freely, and dries rapidly to eliminate low spots.

The fault lies with the installer of the floors here, it would be their responsibility to ensure the surface was correctly prepared for the install.

• Advertisement

That's great to know! I agree, I think it is down to the installer as our neighbors used the same company but they had a different fitter, surprise surprise they have a perfect floor.

The fitter has suggested adding thresholds at every door to relieve the pressure on the floor but I don't think that will work as our floor is bouncy in several places nowhere near the door or perpendicular to one.

I will suggest extra underlay at the problem spots that sounds like a quick win.

Advertisement