Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egr valve made no difference

• 07-09-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Had my Egr valve replaced , as it was down on power with engine light on. Anyway the new one made no difference at all , still no power especially in 4th and 5th gear. Only difference is the engine management light went off. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

2010 1.6 diesel focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mk7r

You need to get the car properly diagnosed, there are so many things that can cause low power like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭User1998

I had similar issue, same car. Got the EGR mapped out. Full power restored and engine light went out. You should never replace EGR. Should just get it mapped out

He did properly diagnose it though and replaced Egr , only thing that changed was engine light went out

he should of known that though I wouldn’t have a clue. What my next step ?

• Advertisement

Then he clearly didn't diagnose it properly.... Replacing the egr if its faulty is better than just mapping it out, it is useful. However this problem could be caused by faulty MAF, faulty MAP, cracked hose, sticking turbo vanes, fuel delivery issues etc etc, its impossible to diagnose it over the internet

Ok cheers i guess it’s going back to him so then

And now the engine management light comes back on ffs. Service oil keeps coming up on dash also never seen that happen before

In what way is replacing an EGR better than mapping it out? Apart from environmental.

It cools the combustion and leads to lower cylinder temps and lower egt, also in many cases the egr will reduce fuel consumption (sometimes significantly)

This is setting aside the fact that I hve seen very few correctly written maps that remove the egr.... many just delete the light (and about 20 other things in the process)

• Advertisement

Went back In today he ran some programme on computer that clean the turbo or something, it worked for around 20 miles and down on power now again. There was no other faults showing up , I’m lost to be honest

It seems when it’s parked up for a few hours and you first start it the power is there for a few mins then it dies off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The only reason they are fitted is because of government policies on emissions.

Hence why I said ‘apart from environmental reasons.’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Probably because cars run richer for first few kms when there getting up to temp ?

Could be a build up of carbon in the engine such as the turbo vanes, intake manifold intake ports ect. Had this with a BMW a while ago, after numerous times in the garage along with turbo recon I got it carbon cleaned and it ran a lot better. By that stage I'd already got rid of the egr and DPF.

If you were to map out the egr just know that it could have an impact on the cars DPF. Egrs usually work in tandem with DPF for the regeneration process.

Never hear of a computer program that cleans the turbo 🤨. Maybe he was checking if the turbo actuator was functioning properly ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I’m not being smart but that is literally the only reason they are fitted. They were only introduced so that cars could comply with Euro 5/Euro 6 emissions standards that were introduced by the EU in the past 10 or so years. Its the same with DPF’s and Adblue.

Technically they were not fitted “From day one”. They were only introduced when government policy changed. For example, a Passat from one year has no DPF or EGR, and then the same model the year after is fitted with both.

No. You are attempting to be smart, and just failing at every turn. I'll leave it there.

Still having this problem unfortunately, the mechanic thinks it may be the ecu now. What do ye think ?

when it drops in power if I press the clutch while driving and turn off the key for 2 seconds and start it back up the power comes fully back for maybe 5 mins ? Like it’s resetting the ecu ? Any opinions appreciated

• Advertisement

You desperately need a better mechanic, it is extremely unlikely to be the ecu and shouldnt be too hard to diagnose properly.

You may be right tbf but this particular mechanic has a really good reputation in fairness but he seems to not have a clue how to solve this problem. Car is in limp mode from what I can tell I’m sick of it now just want it sorted. And the worst part is I don’t know if I’m doing more damage by driving it

Where are you located? it's impossible to diagnose over the internet but reputation or not he hasn't a clue clearly. Its always the 'ecu' when the first guess fails with these guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As you know by now there can be numerous causes of this.

In my own case every mechanic I spoke to went straight down the EGR route and followed that with the DPF and ECU.

It was pure guesswork albeit based no doubt on experience but dragged on for weeks and was phishing me off.

A lad in work who dabbles with tractors as a hobby told me to check my fuel lines "with a microscope" and hey presto there was a tiny crack/leak at the base of the priming bulb. The van would drive fine for the first 5 or 10 minutes and then start losing power so he was adamant that it was the fuel lines and nothing to do with EGR/DPF/ECU etc. He was bang on. It might be worth a look in your case, especially given the age of the car and it's hoses/rubbers.

I’m based in Kerry , and to be honest there’s not much choice when it comes to mechanics

I did see it myself on the computer there was 3 Egr faults so I’d say he was right replacing that,

but the fact it’s still not fixed after replacing it and having the car back down to him 3 times since with no progress is really annoying. Thanks for info might get the fuel lines looked into next and hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If the EGR is getting insufficient fuel or not mixing correctly it will show as a fault. Interpreting the fault and it's reasons for being a fault is the clever part !!

Ya that would have been the smart thing to do alright, now I’ve to pay 400 for something I may not have even needed and car not even sorted.

Like I said at the beginning, get the EGR mapped out.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly. If your still getting fault codes for the EGR then thats what I’d be doing next.

No worries thanks. Gonna get a second opinion tomorrow and go from there

The other mechanic wants to delete Egr and dpf , reckons I’ll never have problems again. Is this a good idea ? I’m reading that it’s illegal to delete dpf

If done properly it will still pass the NCT so I wouldn’t worry about the legality of it. Its expensive enough to get both the EGR and DPF removed

Around 4/450 he said , might just go ahead with it at this stage and hope for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I wouldn't, deleting stuff can cause massive headaches if there's other issues down the road needing to be diagnosed or if you've ever a software/ecu issue.

Had a passat a while back, no power due to clogged DPF, no faults stored and wouldn't run a forced regen. Updated ECU to latest software, immediately threw a fault for the throttle body. Seen a new one had been fitted, didn't solve the problem obviously. Wiring good so must have been an ECU issue but customer didn't want to pay for any more time.

Obviously whatever garage had it just told him it was the throttle body, all sorted now and just deleted it.

On top of that who knows what checks the NCT will bring in for this.

TLDR, get a better mechanic.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Advertisement