Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris RWC 2023 advice

Options
  • 07-09-2022 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭

So I've got tickets to some games for next years RWC, all in Paris but having never been at all I haven't a clue of where might be best to stay? I'm aware that Stade De France is a bit of a trek to get to from the normal tourist and better hotel areas and were planning on doing a 2-3 day trip for at least one of the games so would like to be centrally located. Would love advice or tips anyone can give please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

State de France is accessible from central Paris - with different options. I would suggest looking at this as a tourist trip (sights, meals, hotels) with the rugby as an added bonus.

Is there anything in particular that you want to do, see? Good areas to stay are around Luxembourg Gardens/Sorbonne for a good range of reasonable hotels and restaurants plus close to nightlife, Passy (if you want an upmarket village feel close to the Eiffel Tower/Trocadero), or around Opera/Shopping area which has good transport links to the rest of the city. There are lots of options - Paris absorbs big events but there will be the usual Irish bars if you want to immerse yourself on the social side of things.

Big advice is get to the stadium reasonably early - last minute is not pleasant. There are lots of food and drinks options around the stadium on match day. in 2007, the Saint Denis rugby club had a good set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah for one of the matches we deffinitely plan on doing probably 3 nights as a trip like you say with the match as a bonus. Probably like the idea of hotels and restaurants with a bit of nightlife tbh so will look at Luxembourg, cheers for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

For the nights of the matches we booked a hotel around the Boulevard de Clichy. I found previously that a lot of fans after the game are focussed in that area due to the large amount of Irish pubs so a short walk to the hotel at the end of the evening is the biggest thing.

If i was going for a few days id be looking at booking a place a lot more central such as cuttingtimber22's recommendations.

Thanks for the tips think we will aim for somewhere around the Latin Quarter, seems to be the kind of vibe we are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Other than Airbnb, VRBO and Booking.com are there any other good sites for booking in Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

I’ve stayed in the Latin quarter twice before, near the Sorbonne. Lovely part of Paris. Clean and beautiful and plenty of bars and restaurants and good public transport. Hotel rooms small but reasonable. Easy to get to St Denis and to come in on train from Charles de Gaulle, however just for information (and I know it’s football) during the Euros the Irish all drank on the street beside the moulin rouge (and in the Irish pubs there) and it was really hard to get home from there so handy to be near if that happens again and you want the nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Tickets going on general sale today. I will stay in the Moulin Rouge area. Good Metro access to the stadium. And good pubs there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

www.accorhotels.com

Loads of IBIS hotels (cheap) and other options given its a French chain with properties worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

has anyone begun planning their journey yet? hoping to head over for Scotland and SA game. I see Ryanair have outrageous prices so wondering what's the alternative? Eurostar from London? train from brussels or Amsterdam? only beginning to look into things so wondering of anyone's else's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Most people will have booked a long time ago but the good thing about Paris is that it's very accessible. I've gone via Zurich in the past too.

• Advertisement

Aer Lingus wont have flights for October 2023 up until December, they are late adding them for some reason, im waiting for them to book for the scotland game.

Aer Lingus have the Dublin - Paris flights up. Expensive.

For the SA game I meant.

Yup Air France look to be best price currently, based of Aer Lingus prices for SA game ill probably go AF for Scotland now

We are gone for Shannon - Heathrow. And then the Eurostar. Cant be bothered going all the way to Dublin.

Ryanair flights only go as far as the 28th of October (day of the final) at the moment. Hopefully will go up for 29th + soon.

Aer Lingus don't have October yet, but it'll go up in December I believe.

still looking at a reasonable route to Paris for SA game. could fly into Brussels Thursday night. Would the trains start gouging with prices too that weekend knowing the world cup is on? the prices aren't up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 winneralrigh

Hi, I just booked flights in the past two weeks to fly to London Stansted on the Friday morning 8:30, then onwards to Tours (just outside Paris) and return the same way on the Monday for Scotland game and the quarter finals, All in for €150 including seats. Cheapest option I could work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It think its safe to say there'll not be a massive amount coming from there to watch a Rugby game they are not involved in so train prices will remain normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

You do konw it's about 240 km from Tours to Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Tours is just outside Paris in the same way that Limerick is just outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I second that, always stay with them in European cities when booking myself. Good value, comfortable bed, which is all you need for a city trip.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Aer Lingus Regional putting on extra flights to near to Paris, Nantes during the RWC

Advertisement