Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting PC Ethernet cables in different room of router

Options
  • 06-09-2022 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi I am starting work from home soon. My PC is in an office space. My wifi router is in the living room. The house is occupied by other people so I can't have my office in this living room.

However There are two Ethernet cables that need to be connected to the back of the Router.

Is there anything I can do about this? I have seen wifi extenders with four or five LAN inputs on the back. Would this work?

Sorry I'm not anyway tech savvy so if anyone has suggestions I'd be grateful. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is your employer insisting you only connect via ethernet and not wifi? What are these two ethernet cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

I have no idea. All I know is there are two cables that go into the back of the PC and they must go into back of router. 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I wouldn't bother with WiFi extenders as advertised.

You could buy TP link and connect with ethernet from plug in the wall.

But if it was me , I would ring my broadband supplier and get them to install superfast WiFi and plug the Ethernet cable in to that.

Most WFH companies give their employees a dongle nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Does your phone give a decent speed in the office space?

Powerline extenders as mentioned by @2forjoy would be a good solution for you, though a wifi device that can do client mode would work too.

TP-Link, Devolo and a few other brands are available. I have a devolo one with 3 ethernet ports on it.

This one from Screwfix would be ideal as it has two ports on one of the units. It also has a passthrough plug, so you won't have to go reorganising things to plug them in. Put the one with one socket beside your router and connect with the supplied ethernet cable. Put the other one in your office and plug the two cables from your PC into that. Really curious why you actually have two. I can think of a good reason for it but it would be a very unusual scenario.

Advertisement