Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MULVENNA & Variants + BEGGS Carncome (Carncombe) Co. Antrim

Options
  • 06-09-2022 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm trying to find a link to the BEGGS Family at Carncome, Connor, Antrim.

My ancestor, James MULVENNA married an Ellen BEGGS in August 1840 in Randalstown.

The reference for James refers to Glenarm, for Ellen it gives KELLS.

The spelling for MULVENNA varies for Baptisms.

It eventually shows up as McILVENNA.

The address on the Baptisms' is shown as Carncome.

If anyone has any information on this family I would appreciate hearing from them.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

My surname is Mulvany (Ó Maoilmheana) and I always associated Mulvenna as an alternate anglicization of the original Irish surname.

To quote MacLysaght's The Surnames of Ireland:

(O) Mulvan(n)y, Mulvenna

These may be distinct families Mulvenna is certainly Ó Maoilmheana and is essentially of north Ulster; Dr. O'Raifeartaigh derives this from the river Meana now Main. Mulvany may also possibly, as Woulfe says, be Ó Maolmhaghna of Donegal. Mulvany, however is now mainly found in Leinster, and I see no reason to doubt that it is Ó Maoilmheana there also. In Ulster Mulvenna is sometimes used synonymously with MacIlvenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Elwyn

The tithe applotment records for Connor parish list a John Beggs farming in Carncomb (Carncone) in 1835:

No Beggs households in Carncone in Griffiths Valuation (1862) so presumably the family had died out or left the area by then.

Death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 and tracing a family before that can be challenging.

Griffiths lists just 4 Beggs households in Connor parish in 1862: James in Fernisky, Samuel in Barnish, David in Maxwell’s Walls & another David in Castlegore.

Advertisement