Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs for 11 year old - recommendations?

Options
  • 06-09-2022 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,

My 11-year-old has outgrown his current clubs and is looking for new clubs. He seems to be in that awkward spot though reaching the end of the Junior range but not quite there yet for a 'ladies' set for example. Looking around it seems that the main offerings are Wilson half-sets ("long iron", "short iron" - what is that about?), USkids sets or Ping Prodi Gs. The latter is not worth it given that he won't get value from resizing. Are USKids sets any good? Seems to be a much better range in the US for "teen" clubs.

If I can get him a set that would last for the next 2 to 3 years (is that realistic) and he'll be closer to ladies/men sets then I'd imagine.

Thanks

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Skyfloater

I have two lads 11&13, and now that they are back at school golf is being squeezed out. You have to ask yourself how much more he will play before the end of the year, as they grow like mushrooms at this age, and it will be late spring before the golf kicks off again.

As for clubs, you'll get a set from Adverts or Donedeal for €120-150 next spring and sell for the same when he's finished with them. Note that in future, just because he will have the height for ladies clubs due to their heavier swing weight, they may not be ideal until he fills out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

My 11 year old has some US Golf Kids clubs. A pro recommended them.

They are decent, but he is just in the 63in range now, which I think is the same as the standard ladies size clubs, but lighter. He might get another year or so out of them. After that, the only option is probably a beginners mens set or some clubs from around the house in a new bag. There is another kids range Halpenny do, but I think the size is similar. McGuirks are good in a sale for US golf kids.

Advertisement