Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old house demolitian opposite Tesco Ballybeg

Options
  • 06-09-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Just saw the old house by Tesco Ballybeg was demolished today. what a shame, surely that house had a preservation order on it?

Does anybody know the history of it?

Im led to believe it was owned by noel frisby.

Im sure it was the original land owner/farmer of that area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aziz

That’s a shame,was wondered could it be restored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

yeah wat a pitty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I'd imagine it was in disrepair, right decision to knock it. Hopefully it will be redeveloped and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think the travellers nearby took over and moved in? Always looked like that whenever i drove past but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Id imagine maybe its also to do with the new road at that roundabout that will go over Kilbarry and swing around by the Range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

they were just using the land, mainly for their horses

as far as im aware, this is the main reason for its demolition

well the new road wouldnt impact that building as the roundabout and general markings are there which pass by that building.

that building is on private land so unless it was a compulsory purchase order but doubt it, if the local travellers were in and out of that place which they were then the owner cud be held liable as there is an agreement in place to use that land while its not being used but if someone gets hurt then he cud be sued , then again maybe planning has come through or he just decided its to dangerous knock it.

I know frisby own the field in between fowood and that house, which is still being farmed but perhaps planning as i said has finally come through.

Does anybody know the original story behind that house?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wouldnt be surprised if it was removed for visibility reasons, a large building on the side of a roundabout probably wouldnt be a good idea...

...there didnt seem to be any issues with the travelers using it for years, dont know who own(ed) the land, but i know the travelers there, nobody bothered them over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Demolition of a building would require planning permission.

From looking at the waterford planning maps online, there does not appear to be any planning permission associated with this.

It would probably be worth putting in a complaint to the council planning department about an unauthoriesed development. ( in know it knocking it is not a development as such, but even demolition would fall under the legal definition of development under the planning regulations)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Halleys used to live there, I think it was purchased from them under CPU a good while back. Took council forever to move after that.

• Advertisement

I know that land the house and the farm buildings there are owned by Frisby and the travellers were allowed use the land as it wasn't being developed. the latest i have seen is the trees and ditch/drain between the field beside Foxwood have all been bulldozed so perhaps he has now decided to develop the land now, I know as part of Foxwood recent development there was supposed to be solar power fields in that area perhaps this is what is being done now.

Halley's as in the solicitors? I was always told Frisby owned it

Not sure if related. Farmer named Lar Halley with horses as well if I remember, son Vinny trains horses now in Kill I believe.

Its sad really Im sure that house has been there many a year

Suppose it would have been a rural location back in the day long before Tesco Ballybeg and six cross road business parks existed.

yeah was fairly rough before that road was done 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Yeah but any of those things would require planning permission. And there isn't even any planning application on that area, let alone a planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yes that was Lar’s place. Not sure when he sold up but would probably have been 17 or 18 years ago. Before Tesco went in I think anyway.

yeah its been empty long before tesco went up im sure the adjacent farm houses and out buildings belonged to them too, what will the scrap collectors do without that land to use as their own private scrap metal dump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Just checked on Google Earth you can see there is no space for the footpath. Maybe from the design of the roundabout and planned link road they always wanted it's demolition.

• Advertisement

Yeah as i said, i was told frisby owned the land as he was buying up the land in the area, can you see from the aerial photo there is a ploughed field at the end of the photo, well he owns that bought it off the farmer and rented it back to him until permission came through, one of his builders told me that, from the works i have seen being done the trees have been dozered between the rough land the the ploughed field and the ditch in between filled in so there's access from one field to another, all speculation but cud be lots getting lined up, if that road is getting done i suppose a few things needed to be moved, suppose best way to check is the planning page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Sad loss.

Actually there's a planning application up on the fence just at the ploughed field to build more houses so could be a part of all of that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I managed to get in there about 10 years ago just for a look and it was a fine house. There was a big old fashioned pantry in it. I was always curious about it as it seemed more in line with the "big house" type houseing in the Dunmore Road. When I was in there it was salvageable and there was evidence that it had been occupied relatively recently possibly by students. I saw some posters there that were contemporary. For me it was "if only I won the lottery" kind of place. It is such a pity it;s gone. It would have made a great community/youth hall. But as someone said it had been taken over. I saw bails of hay been stored there and someone had tried to take out the PVC windows with a chisel.

Advertisement