Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is using your motorway toll tag for parking worth it?

Options
  • 06-09-2022 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I guess I'm wondering what happens when you use it in a car park that allows, say, 30 minutes free parking. Or, when you're parked in a car park that's also the car park for a supermarket which issues parking vouchers at checkout. Will you now end up paying when you needn't have done so?

I'm asking because I have to get a new toll tag (battery) and they've asked me if I want to add parking to it.

(Not sure if this is the right forum.)

Thanks.

D.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

My tag provider says you won't any pay more than the cash rate and has a €1.50 extra monthly service charge. I don't bother with it as I'm an infrequent user so the €18 annual fee isn't worth it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

That makes sense. I've cancelled it.

D.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

FYI any special rates that parking places offer, you cant avail of. Case in point, I went to rcos car park, evening rate was something like €8. Tagged in, tagged out, got charged €20 odd. Contacted them and they said you can only avail of the evening rate by using a ticket...

Post edited by antodeco on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Another reason to avoid this system.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

I seem to remember that if you press for a ticket it will cancel the tag-in so it's still possible to get special rates when you want to do that.

The one thing I used to like the parking bit for was parking at Dublin airport. I used to use the QuickPark place and you didn't have to book - just roll up and let the tag beep and then when you got back you were charged whatever was the best rate for your stay. No messing about and always spaces available.

Advertisement