Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to arrange roof to maximise solar panels

• 06-09-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm in the middle of getting my roof redone. After that I want to put on solar panels, and I want to ensure I maximise the possible number I can add. I know that panels can't be too near the edge or windows so there's a few decisions on the roof that might impact on how many panels I can fit. The two variables are:

a) I'm adding two velux windows on the south facing side. They are going in in the coming days but the placing of these can be tweaked horizontally. I could just place the windows where I want for the best view and hope for the best but maybe moving it 10 or 20 cm might allow an extra panel to be added between it and the edge of the roof.

b) I've put in serious insulation and as a result need ventilation slates. The mushroom style ones are quite tall (circa 8-10cm proud of roof) and because of reasons (house is old and odd) start almost a third of the way up the slating. The roofer says its better to have a matching one near the top but that ridge vents are also an option, as they are on the ridge (obvs) they are already in the exclusion zone for panels whereas the slate vent would.

I have not got clarity on either size of panels or whether the panels could sit over the slate vents. I have asked one solar company I was talking to but they aren't answering this issue. Internet search seems to say panels can vary in size.

Hope that makes sense and appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

From what I've seen panels vary in size but not too much. Most seem to be in the 1700x1100mm size range

You can probably use this to figure out where your panels will be placed so you can adjust your Velux's and roof vents as much as possible

It's worth checking the requirement for a gap around skylights. It isn't as severe as the rook edge AFAIK but it also can't be zero

Same goes for roof vents

Safest option might be to aim for a row above and below the rooflights, so there's no chance of interference

You won't get a proper quote from a solar company until they see the roof, so start ringing around and ask them to come over or look at the plans

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

Its a wide roof (11 metres IIRC) so space between the windows is what I am hoping to utilise in the main. If I continue with mushroom vents then placing vents above the windows may not work. There is no attic, first storey rooms are directly under the roof bar a crawl space in the middle with water tanks.

Advertisement