Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duty Free coming back from UK on Irish Ferries

• 06-09-2022 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I had a thought (yeah I know!)

Obviously I'm going to be bringing back some alcohol from the UK as it is cheaper there than here. I am having it delivered to a friend, its coming from Amazon.

This got me thinking. It's not Duty Free. I've paid Duty on it, in the UK. So what's the story here, can I buy as much as I like Duty Paid?

I'm know the answer is no, but what's the answer. Is there somewhere that explains all this? All I can find is Duty Free limits. What are the Duty Paid limits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Duty you pay in the UK doesn't count as it's not in the EU.

Anything you bring in above the duty free limits you will have to pay duty on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chancer20

That's my point, its NOT Duty "Free" as I've paid duty. I can get Duty "Free" in Duty Free shops on Ferries and in Airport terminals.

If I have to pay Duty on spirits in the UK, then that should be taken into consideration. Can I claim back the Duty I have paid in the UK?

My question is, where can I read up on the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭whippet

UK Duty has nothing to do with EU duty.

I'm not sure if there is a mechanism to claim back UK duty when you are 'exporting' booze. But Irish customs won't care about that - you pay duty based on point of entry.

Duty free shops are a different story

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This is my understanding.*

Buy off amazon and get delivered to uk address = uk duty paid.

Buy off amazon and get delivered to Ireland = Irish duty paid.

What you did, it looks like you're trying to avoid paying Irish duty, ie. get it cheaper.

What may happen is you will have to pay Irish duty and claim uk duty back from amazon, which you probably can't because you got it delivered to a uk address.

When you pay Irish duty, amazon may return uk duty when they see your Irish duty paid receipt.

*I may be totally wrong and nothing will happen on your return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

You can always take a chance. We were in England this summer and brought home some alcohol from the supermarket but made sure to keep that + whatever we got in the duty free shop on board the ferry, within the duty free limits.

However no one asked us about alcohol and we just drove straight home from the ship, not stopped. So we could have got away with bringing lots more. Mind you we had a full car with 3 kids in the back so probably didn't look like we were trying to import booze. Some cars were being stopped though.

When buying from amazon they deduct the UK VAT and charge Irish VAT, but this is separate from the excise duty due on alcohol. It's the excise duty that the term "duty free" refers to.

• Advertisement

All very decent responses, but my question remains: Where can I read chapter and verse on this, i.e: a site that discusses the legal issues, no guesswork. I haven't been able to find one despite lots of searching, every site discusses Duty Free allowances, even the Revenue. I am not shopping in a Duty Free shop. If the allowances are the same "Free" or "Paid" fair enough, but I would like to see that in writing from a legitimate source.

I won't be bringing back any more than the Duty Free allowance, I was just interested in how Duty was charged and what can and cannot be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

is it not the case that you can only bring 1L of spirits or 16L of beer into the country without the customs looking for Duty (and Vat and Excise) charges off you ?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/customs-information-travelling-duty-free-allowances/travelling-from-outside-the-eu/duty-free-allowances.aspx

What does it really matter what it actually cost when the allowances are in Litres ???

Not pertinent to this thread but it’s the best one for an answer to my question. I’ll be flying not using the Ferry.

The limit for cigarettes is 200. If I were to bring 400 would I have 200 confiscated or would I be able to keep after paying a certain amount. Any ideas what I would be charged in this scenario, would I have to pay full whack Irish price? I checked online and can’t find anything of worth. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Chapter and verse you say? Here’s the customs and excise enforcement manual. Everything you want to know is in there

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/investigations-prosecutions-enforcement/enforcement/chapter-03.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I'm not sure you'll find the site you're looking for. However, the allowances are the same, It doesn't matter if you buy something in a duty-free shop or not, that is separate from your duty-free allowance.

Your duty-free allowance is the amount of alcohol you can bring into the country without paying EU(in this case Irish) Duty upon. This is regardless of any other, non-EU duty paid. it only concerns the duty you'll be charged to bring it into the country, without any consideration of any other duties you've paid in other countries.

A duty-free shop is a shop where no duty has been applied, neither EU nor UK, as it exists between both jurisdictions. While there you can purchase up to your allowance of alcohol and bring it into Ireland without subsequently paying EU duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Am I missing something here. Why would you not buy in the North of Ireland. Prices are the same as UK but you can bring back as much as you want without any custom fee and vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We were stopped last week in Rosslare, and asked specifically about alcohol/ cigarettes. I said no (which was the truth) and waved through - similar to that, it was with the family.

Can't remember the lager prices, but fwiw Guinness was €24 for 24 500ml cans on board with Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnmaggie11

I was on Irish ferries last week. I don’t know about alcohol but I was allowed a sleeve of cigarettes - 200 cigs for each person. However they’ll sell you any amount you like and it’s up to you if you want to take the risk. 200 L&B silver €50. 200 JPBlue €55. 200 B&Hgold €70.

Advertisement