Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did my landlady get a 300 euro bill from prepay power/

Options
  • 05-09-2022 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

MOD NOTE. I'm moving this to electrical.

I live in a house with the owner and her boyfriend. There is a prepay power meter.

As far as I'm aware. you top up the metre, and you get the amount of electricity you pay for.

There are no extra fees.

At least that's how it worked for me, when I was living in an an apartment and prepay power payments were in my name. This was about two years back. I never got any bills.

Now there have been people claiming to work for the ESB asking to check the metre or something , which is inside the house. I remember the first time I let them in. Later I told the landlady who told me not to let them in anymore. Basically she was suspicious that they may have been from the criminal fraternity. Since then there have been calls while I was home, and I asked them to call again. or cards left.

I guess this is to do with having a smart metre installed. But assuming I'm right, would there be any connection

between this 300 euro demand and not having a smart metre?

Post edited by Wearb on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What does it say on the bill? That should explain what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

I didn't see what was written on the bill.

It seems it has to do with mprn.

Also 300 euro is an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Although it may create animosity - I’d be asking to see the bill somehow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need to see what the bill is.

Prepay add their own secondary meter, I imagine that if you have a huge discrepancy between their secondary meter and the ESB Networks one they may ask for more money; as they are responsible for buying the power recorded by the actual meter.

It won't be to do with the lack of a smart meter.

• Advertisement

Thank

Thanks, But I trust my landlady. She can be difficut to live with, but I trust her. ☺

Okay. Has this anything to do with with the fact that the metres are inside the house, and as far as I know, nobody ever got inside to read the metres? Is this secondary metre a new thing?. Okay. I can't remember exactly. But I was living in an apartment from 2008 to 2020 using prepay power, although not from 2008.

I suppose there was a prepay metre inside the apartment. But I only remember the gadget for topping up electricity. The ESB metre was ouside. So that was checked. So Would that have been someone from Prepay power?, and because it was able to be checked, is that the reason, I didn't get any unexpected bills?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prepay the firm has always used secondary meters. The concept of prepayment with most other firms does not, it uses a card meter replacing the main meter.

Advertisement