Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i have my wisdom teeth removed

• 05-09-2022 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I have a question, is it necessary to extract the lower left and right wisdom teeth, because it is not known if it is a shadow from the x-ray or if it is eating away the tooth next to it. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭2 fast

Maybe ask your dentist...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yeah he took that x-ray himself and just posted it here.

If you're not in pain OP let nature take it's course, i have an occlusion over one wisdom, where it's basically growing into my cheek/gum.

Dentist asked if i was in pain, nope never have been, so he was happy to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Don’t look for trouble it might never harm you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joro133

They said it can harm my next tooth and then both of them will be extract, but in the same time this could be shadow and everything to be alright

They said it can harm my next tooth and then both of them will be extract, but in the same time this could be shadow and everything to be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Patients occasionally attend our clinic with a prescription for an X-ray, it may be some time before their dentist who may not have a OPT machine, or Doctor views the X-ray.

It is never wise to give dental advise based solely on your experience, everyone is different.

Look up the meaning of “occlusion”.

Op. This type of X-ray, an OPT is very good for giving an overall view of your dentition, but it lacks precise detail. Your dentist will see more/get a more accurate view of the third molar area by taking peri apical X-rays, these are X-rays with a smaller, more focal area of observation. They should indicate if there is a cavity on the back surfaces of the second molars. The X-ray does show that the roots are pretty close to the inferior dental nerve canal, so your dentist is understandably wary of extracting unless it is necessary.

So, what's your advice should I go for another x-ray for the lower right (left side of the image) to know exactly what is it, shadow or decay, or I should extract it. My dentist also couldn't tell for sure and sent me to a dental surgeon saying I might need a X-ray just for the tooth but when I went to the surgeon he didn't even ask me to have a X-ray taken and told me ,that it is for extraction, without even discussing the possibility that it is a shadow. I'm afraid that everything might be fine but they still take it out because that's their job after all. Is there any change this tooth to be alright and not cause problems in the future?

At this stage you have discussed this with both your dentist and an oral surgeon, you should follow 2 fast’s advice, ask your dentist, not randomers on the Internet.

I already did, my dentist said he couldn't tell and send me to oral surgeon who told me straight away we should extract it, he did not even asked for another X-ray or discussed the possibility of shadowling.

What are you expecting online, that hasn’t been discussed by your Dentist/Oral surgeon? If you don’t have confidence in what they said, get another opinion, not online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭kirving

Not to do with the OP specifically, but I had to get my lower wisdoms out a while back. The surgeon was nervous as the OPT showed the nerves very close to the root, but the 3D CBCT showed the root as being further away. Really cool tech!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Both my lower wisdom teeth at the back were at a 90 degree angle and growing towards the ones in front of them, causing me terrible aches.... they were completely buried under my gums so not visible at all...

I had an operation (general anastetic) to have both of them removed, which went well, but a few days later when the 2nd set of wisdom teeth (that were getting pushed out of position) started moving back into their natural position, I had the most excruciating tooth aches I've ever experienced..... It was fcuking horrendous.

I don't have any advice for you OP as I'm not a dentist, but just wanted to point out how awful it can be when you get work done back there.... which in my case was needed.

Advertisement