Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTW 636: 30/7/22 - 5/8/22

Options
  • 05-09-2022 7:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

Gregor Samsa

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Adrian.Sadlier

citytillidie

superflyninja

CONGRATULATIONS Gregor Samsa

Tell us a little about capturing the winning shot

WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thanks Myksyk, and all who visit and post on the thread!!!

My daughter spotted the Bombus lucorum (white tailed bumble bee) nest under our mobile home’s deck during the summer, and we were fascinated by their comings and goings. got some nice 4K slow-mo video of them too.

I wanted to get a decent macro shot of one in flight, but me being as close to the nest as macro requires just agitated them. So I ended up setting up the camera (newly acquired Sony A1) with the 90mm macro lens on a tripod, and using a Bluetooth remote and my phone connected to the camera with the Monitor+ app as a remote monitor, as I stood a couple of metres back. They didn’t mind the camera rig. The lens was set to a fixed focus at a point a couple of cm from the opening where they would be airborne, and as soon as I’d see a bee come out, I’d hit the release and fire off a 30fps burst, hoping to get one in the narrow depth of field I had to work with. That shot was at 1:1 magnification, 1/5000s (to freeze the super fast wings), iso2000, f11, no flash. They move fast and erratic!

Advertisement