Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putter Fitting

Options
  • 05-09-2022 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

whats peoples opinions on putter fittings?

I'm thinking of upgrading my putter. Its the strongest part of my game but I noticed I dont hole many long putts (would be close) or putts form outside 10 feet, yet I would rarely 3 putt. I have an odyssey blade putter that I bought new about 10 years ago for €80. I was looking at the TM spider as a few mates have them and have gone from poor putters to good putters. A regular playing partner just bought a evnroll ER2B which I really liked! but its €400+ The price of putters nowadays is mental! golf clubs in general too I suppose.

I see Foregolf do putter fittings for €50 on Trackman 3. Dont know how that works but adding €50 to the price of the putter is making it mad expensive imo I know we do that with drivers but theres way more variables in a driver fitting.

I taught putters was mainly about feel, weight and Arc etc. The rest is a sales pitch..

Do Mcguirks or halpenny do putter fittings? considering they have upped their game in recent years when it comes to fittings.

Post edited by benny79 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I went to concept golf in blanchardstown.

TL:DR I bought the putter they recommended and it is working very well for me.

The process was super interesting. He has all the trackman stuff set up. The surface I didn't like, would be ideal to putt on a real green. The artificial green was at least 1 or 2 points faster than what I am used to.

He first measured my performance with my old putters. I had a blade putter which was toe balanced, more suited to a strong arc and a mallet style 2 ball putter which is face balanced and more suited to a straight back and through. Immediately he noted that straight back and through was more suited to my stroke but also I Liked the look of a blade style

He then went through three stages of refinement. First one to match my stroke. He was then able to narrow it down to 3 sub styles of putter, from that round of putts he narrowed it down again to three more putters. I already had the putter I ended up buying from the second round. So he was measuring everything from that. Seeing if I was able to get the blade back square at impact and basically hit the ball where I was aiming.

really interesting, my only kinda regret was that he didn't have a massive selection of putters. Would love honestly to have gotten a scottie cameron because, well you know the reason why but the evnroll is a brilliant putter. Especially on lag putts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

how much did they charge for the fitting? and did they take it of the price of the putter?

Its mad I never heard of Evnroll until yesterday! yet they have great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you feel its the strongest part of your game, why do you fancy a change Benny?

You sat you're not making many outside 10ft, how many do you think you should be making?

He's not a great example, but on everyone's minds, but Rory this year is at less than 30% makes from 10ft for the season.

3-putt avoidance is massive, so if you're managing that well, do you think you may need a putter?

Have a 2-ball at home with a fat grip, happy for you to take it for a test drive and see if that style of putter does anything for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Playing for ages and unfortunately, didn't know much about it either until I fancied a change. Never a great putter and always a blade guy, just liked them better. I said I try a mallet for fun. The Pro handed me a putter - hit a few balls. Handed me another, what seemed identical club, different outcome. Face balanced v toe hang. All of my previous putters were TH. FB won. Its made a difference.

At least try it this way if you don't want a full fitting, its a start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Serious question, how often do you practice putting?

• Advertisement

I practice about 30 mins every couple of evenings on my putting matt (mainly when I'm cooking dinner 😂) This really has transformed my game gets me back in check if my putting drops plus prefer it than practising on a putting green. I have the eyeline putting matt was about €80 have it about 10 years its 12ft with 2 holes one slightly smaller than a normal hole and then a normal hole. When you practice on smaller hole it makes the regular size hole seem huge!

@Fatswaldo I know about Toe hang and face balance + length. That's really it when it comes to putters though and your arc obviously. So why pay an extra €50 to be fit?

@spacecoyote cheers for the offer I had one of them before though.. My putter is the oldest and cheapest club in my bag I just fancy an upgrade especially with the added tech in putters now but the price of them is unreal these days. I remember when scottys were €250 and people taught that was mad money (it was) now nearly all good putters are €300+

I suppose - 1. I want a premium good putter 😁 2. which will help eliminate the brain farts from time to time! I tried a mates Evnroll putter and was very impressed! Never heard of them before loved the grip. Bad putts still got to the hole from distance and a blade like mine with a bit more tech plus forgiveness.. But was gobsmacked at the price €400+ Then add on €50 for a fit! Is it necessary for a putter? Don't get me wrong I'd always get fit for a driver but as I said there's a lot more variables in a driver fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I tried @spacecoyote putter down in Gowran and immediately improved.

That week I went for a fitting in Foregolf and ended up with the latest two ball. Paid over 400 quid but love it. Shortly after they released the original one to celebrate 20 years for 120 quid and I often wonder how much better the latest and greatest is

FWIW the insert of putter was broken and it was effecting my distance control. Definitely not the case for you with so few three puts. The standard deviation of a 12 foot putt was 6 inches vs 3 feet with my old putter ended up in tonnes 3 putts

Fitting done on trackman

How does trackman work for a putter fitting? Do you reckon the fitting made a difference? considering you wanted a two ball putter as you noticed you improved (felt better) using Spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I tried loads of putters. The oddyssey comes in loads of "styles". There is one the same as the spider for example. The numbers for the 2 ball just came back the best. Now that may have been slightly influenced by using spaces the previous weekend

It was two years ago so memories starting get hazy (so much lovely whiskey) and it measures how clean and skid off the face. The numbers gave me confidence. It gives distance of putt and loft required (through angle of attack)> I had a 1 degree adjustment

I love the look this one and would have gone for it for sure:

https://odyssey.callawaygolf.com/putters/eleven/putters-2022-eleven-tour-lined-db.html

For me, distance control is what I wanted improve most

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Got fitted for a putter in America Golf a good few years back. Would highly recommend it.

I'm 6ft 1" and the putter I use is actually a lot smaller than you would think for a tall person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I commented on a different thread on swing characteristics (and bombing sounds!) of playing partners on a recent society round in tullamore from lads here. However on a practice run of the course a few weeks beforehand I played with @benny79 and others at tullamore . There's a calmness, tempo and confidence to your stroke Benny that's seriously impressive. Seeing you putt helped me become a better putter 😃 before you ask, I'm not paying you anything! Whatever putter you use there's a rhythm there that you have that you'll never lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I got fitted for a putter in Foregolf earlier this year. Ended up with an Evnroll ER8v and it cost €525 in total. The putter I was using before was not that much different in terms of setup - I think this one has a degree less loft, is a degree flatter, and is half an inch shorter.

The real benefit to getting fitted was the extra confidence I gained knowing that the putter was set up just right for me personally. Having said that, if you are putting well, and don't three-putt often it sounds like if it ain't broke don't fix it! If it's just a change you fancy then I'd suggest buying something off the shelf with the same specs as the one you have now.

Thats what I am looking at a putter very similar to the one I have but with more advanced tech.. but that obviously comes at a cost. Its €400+ then is it worth spending an extra €50 on a fit this is my dilemma.. As I think €400+ is mad money already for a putter! Prices are just gone bonkers!

@RoadRunner my putter was a cheap odyssey for €80 I didnt get fit just played around with a few in shop and liked the feel and roll of it. But when I play tired or hung over 😂 I find it hard to square up and can miss the odd four footer.. I think the new putters nowadays eliminate that as there more chunkier and sit better behind the ball if you get me. Basically there easier to notice if the face isn't square.

I'd say Benny, if you're planning to spend 400 on a putter, then the 50 for a fit has value.

If you're planning to spend 80-100 again, then maybe not, as 50 is a more significant cost, in relative terms.

You could go in to one of the big chains and see what they offer in terms of a tech for a fit on putters, as you might manage a freebie

Thats what I mean. When it comes to putters all you really need to know is, is it toe hang, face balance, the length and what suits you. I think the likes of Mcguirks & Halpenny will offer this for free.. Theres not much else to a "fitting" regards putters imo

Post edited by benny79 on

I remember going for a putting lesson where the guy had that SAM puttlab (I think that's what it is called). You do get crazy amounts of info from it and it was quite helpful, as you can analyse your stroke to determine your path back and through the ball, etc... to determine the type of head that would suit.

I was there for a lesson and the primary take away he gave me really was that a face-balanced, centre shafted putter suited my putting stroke, and I was using a toe-hang blade at the time.

He didn't sell clubs, etc...so it wasn't an attempt at an upsell to get me to change the putter I was using.

Have used face-balanced putters since then.

Was on 2-ball, but changed to odyssey no. 7. Both face balanced. Only changed was I bought the 7 with a shorter shaft as I'm quite over the ball putting and grip down the grip (not quite Michelle Wie, but along those lines 😁).

On the standard length 2-ball, I was gripping on the shaft with a couple of fingers rather than hands fully on the grip

There is value to getting up on trackman. It definitely gets more than just toe hang vs face balanced. They'll find which putter has the best chance of being square at impact. Not all toe hang and face balanced putters are the same. Trackman will help you identify which putter best suits your stroke. fitting without it will still leave you in lucky dip territory choosing which ever one you like best out of a subset

@willabur Did u get fit? If so do you mind me asking where?

One thing I would say about the process, you are just hitting the same putt over and over on a surface which probably is nothing like the surface you have at your home club. I found I had to adjust to the speed of the green and therefore probably didn't have my regular stroke when being fitted.

If there was somewhere who was doing a fit on a practice green where you could hit both long and short putts then it would be a no brainer.

final comment tho is that the putter he gave me is great. I find it compensates massively for my off-centre strikes. I am still a bit shakey in getting the ball into the feckin hole but I think thats just practice

• Advertisement

My mate that bought the Evnroll ER2B spent 2&1/2 hours in mcguirks in Naas just hitting putts narrowing it down all the time. Till he settled on the evnroll 😂😂😂

I wouldn't trust the matts in those shops... I was in one in swords where they definitely had slopes toward the hole... THought I was bloody seve until I started to deliberately miss the hole and they were still coming back towards it

Academy in Carton would probably be a good option Benny. They have all the indoor tech as far as I know, as well as a large putting green outside the front door of the place for some real life hitting

Advertisement