Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI + VGA dual monitors

Options
  • 04-09-2022 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

My situation is as follows:

• Work laptop (Microsoft Surface 2 Laptop)
    • Only has 3 ports: 1 normal USB, 1 USB-C and the charger port
    • Employer provided me with a small Dell adapter which is plugged into the USB-C port and has x1 HDMI, x1 VGA, x1 Ethernet and x1 USB (normal). They also provided me with an additional screen.
    • Everything works fine when I plug in the HDMI cable into the additional screen and extend displays.
    • I'd like to have 2 additional screens + laptop screen. I have my own monitor in addition to the one work provided me with.
    • I have done the following: 1. Used HDMI cable to connect one screen and VGA cable for the other. Both work fine but can't run as extended screens at the same time (it's one or the other). Does anyone know why this is and what is the best solution?

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

First thing to try is hold down the windows key and press P, then choose extend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alerium

Thanks but only one monitor shows up in display settings so it doesn't even recognise the other until one is plugged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have one of those round Dell adaptors. You can use either the HDMI or VGA connection but not both at the same time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Use DisplayPort for one monitor and HDMI for the other.

EDIT: Actually scrap that. Go back to your employer and ask them for the better WD15 USB-C adapter.

Advertisement