Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Management Company Liable Bike Theft

Options
  • 03-09-2022 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone,

Two bikes were stolen for our basement. My question is are the property management company liable for the damages as the regular means of security was broke at the time of theft.

We are living in a gated complex that has 4 points of entry.

1. Main Gate for cars etc. where you need to register your phone number with the security company and call the gate to open. Only registered users can call this gate.

2. There are two walk in gates where a key is required and you can only get a copy of this key from the management company or need a letter from the management company for a specific key cutter.

3. One other walk in gate where you need to key in a code to gain entry.

On the night the bikes were robbed the main gate was broke and open for a number of days meaning anyone could gain access.

If the gate was worked as intended noone would have been able to get in or out unless registered with the management company.

If anyone could provide advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hard to see how they would be liable, usually cars/bikes are parked at the owners risk. Also, how can you be certain someone who lives in the development didn’t steal them? (I know that’s unlikely, but you can see where the issue might arise). So, unless the MC states that they are responsible for protecting your bike from thieves, you will struggle to hold them liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PSFarrell

We had a similar incident in the building where I live, main gate was broken into the underground parking and the repair took a number of days to complete. Some cars were broken into during this period and there was no recompense to the owners as it states parked at the owners risk. I would assume all complexes are the same.

Advertisement