Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bunratty 2023 Cancelled

Options
  • 02-09-2022 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Bunratty February 2023 Cancelled

It is with regret that the Organising Committee of Bunratty International Chess Festival announce that there will be not be a 2023 Bunratty Chess Festival.

This time the reason is related to the hotel’s availability rather than the Covid-19 situation, but, unfortunately, it is once again, completely beyond our control.

Paul Carey, Gerry Graham, Ted Jennings & Brian Scully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

A big disappointment 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

It's a pity that Bunratty has been cancelled again, hopefully it will return to its former glory next year.

Tournaments generally in Ireland have become ridiculously expensive to attend due to the exorbitant prices being charged by hotels, especially what they charge for a single room. I wanted to play in both the CUS tournament and Cork but parking in Dublin City centre is a no no as far as price is concerned and a hotel or B&B is unthinkable at the prices being quoted. Similarly at the Cork tournament they are looking for 120 euro a night B&B which is just daylight robbery especially when you add 40 quid entry fee, another 30 or so on petrol, meals, drinks etc. 5 games of chess is costing the guts of 400 euro.

I find that it's much cheaper, including flights, to go to Spain, Portugal, Malta, Czech Republic or just about anywhere else for a week long FIDE rated tournament than it is to play in two Irish weekenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭corkcitychess

yes accommodation is a rip off in Ireland in general and Dublin dare I say it is the rip off capital of Europe. Of course it is much cheaper to play in chess tournaments overseas and the hotels are much better quality in cities like Prague, Budapest, Bangkok, Dresden etc...and a lot of people have limited holidays as in my case, had a choice of playing in the Irish ch in Dublin or playing in the club ch in Austria or the European team championships in Germany?

I chose Dresden.

re Cork I was quoted 500 Euros for 2 mid week day nights at a 3.5 star hotel in July.....I ended up using the Metropole for under 300 euros instead albeit without breakfast...is that why the Metropole hotel venue was dropped this year? too expensive?

Advertisement