Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat & Saorview & Record - 2 rooms

Options
  • 02-09-2022 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I currently have a dish with Freesat Quad 4 LBN and a Saorview aerial.

All Coax cables lead from dish + aerial to attic. From there I have 4 coax cables to each room (2 rooms). No all cables in use, but I assume I need all 4 coax cables for watch and record?

My question is what is the best way to get Freesat & Saorview to each room. I'd like to watch and record multiple programs on Freesat & Saorview at the same time.

I assume I need some combo Box so I can use to get Freesat & Saorview & multi Record. What are my best options for this setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A multiswitch to distribute the satellite dish and aerial feeds down the various cables, e.g. this multiswitch works with a quad LNB

Someone else may be able to recommend a receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DeasunK

Thanks @The Cush, some questions re: the multiswitch.

Does it need really need to be powered? Or can it be powered from the TVs or recievers?

Does single multiswitch output combine saorview and freesat? On a TV with aerial and freesat tuner the cable would go to the TVs satellite connection and no need for aerial connection? LG OLED G1 TV.

And for watch and record at the same time I assume I need 2 multiswitch outputs to a reciever box with SSD record capability. And if I want to watch 1 and record 2 other programs at same time I need 3 cables etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Multiswitches need their own mains power. The beauty of the multiswitch is that it piggybacks the terrestrial (Saorview) signal onto each of the satellite cables. This means you don't need to run a separate terrestrial cable to each room. However, you will need a splitter in each room to extract the terrestrial signal back out of the coax. Satellite boxes need 2 feeds to be able to watch 1 and record another. Once you have terrestrial split out from the cable, a combo box can record / show 2 satellite channels and a terrestrial (3 recordings) at the same time.

it is possible to get multiswitches with more outputs if you wanted to expand the setup later to include another bedroom or kitchen for example.

Advertisement