Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to get a tv delivered from Currys...

Options
  • 01-09-2022 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Yes "attempting". 🙄

One would think that in this day and age shopping online and getting a delivery would be a fairly straightforward process. Usually I would get this sort of thing from Amazon, but with the new import duties after Brexit, I was forced to go to a more local source instead (and every other Irish company I went to has been fine). My first inkling that Currys did things a little "different" was I was led to believe I could pick it up in store, in fact that was part of what drew me to it. Then by the time I got to paying for it after spending a long time deciding what site to buy from/tv to get, given the ol' switcheroo where the "pick-up in store" option was literally greyed out. Whatever, delivery was €30, let's just get it over with. Then I find I was given no date of when it would come, even a projected date, and I was informed at the end of my order that "All orders are subject to stock availability" - so what's that supposed to mean? I ordered it and already paid for it but still mightn't get it because it mightn't even be there lol? 🤨 Still no idea when it was coming, not even a "5 business days" sort of thing. Looked through all my emails, nothing.

The next day or two I received a phonecall from Currys informing me that it was coming on Friday. I didn't particularly like receiving a phone call like this from a corporate company without a good reason, why the hell didn't they just email me, usually the worst they will do is text message. When they're contacting you like that they're obviously trying to push their brand name to you. But at least now was an opportunity to get the delivery straight. So what time would it be coming on Friday? No idea. There wouldn't be someone at home all day so could they just leave it outside? No he couldn't take instructions from me. He said I would be receiving a text message giving me the time. So what was the point in him calling at all?! I finally got the text message later giving me a time.

So I got this email and it's sort of hilarious:

No I don't want them to unpack my tv, unpacking is the best part! They also won't be doing any "work" for me or making sure I'm happy, they'll leave it there for me.

So they just give me instructions on how I need to be available. Who the hell is available at a specific time in the middle of the afternoon that they just give you and no negotiating with them?

Every other company that has ever delivered to me has simply given me a time by text message and then left it outside when I wasn't there. Two or three times ever I had to do the going to the post office thing to pick an item up.

Now you're thinking why don't I just contact them and explain "talk to our team" like it says there right? - I did. I emailed them directly yesterday the first chance I had giving them specific instructions to leave it outside my door and do not open the packaging in any way. I have received NOTHING back from them. I then called them earlier today and after about 15 minutes of going through menus and inputting my reference numbers nothing but a ROBOT talking to me and no chance to speak to a real person - the phonelines weren't closed, nothing like that. I also wasn't warned I would only be speaking to a robot and not a real person until the end, no chance to hang on and wait for a customer service person or anything like that. It's comedy. Could there be some iteration of menu presses you went through that would allow you to talk to a real person? I don't know, I highly doubt it for deliveries, I'm not going through all that again. Usually when you're texted a time for delivery you could call them back but the text message didn't support replies. And the one person I ever spoke to from Curries about the delivery cold-called me out of the blue and couldn't take instructions from me or even give me the time for delivery, just the day. What a farce!

I find it so outlandish that they're giving ME the customer instructions on what I have to do and informing me what they will do - whether I like it or not apparently. And they have so much time and resources that they cold call me, yet can't take instructions from me and nobody there except a robot when I try to give them. It's like some bizarre dystopian movie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're complaining because of a courtesy call to say it will be arriving Friday? You're complaining because , depending on the product, they're willing to unwrap it and take away the packaging? You got a standard form notice which included advice if they were doing any work, e.g. installing an appliance. You're angry over nothing. Then you'd prefer them to leave a TV sitting outside? You can't be for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭animalinside

I'm complaining because it's not normal for a company to use your number to call you without a specific and good reason, they aren't friend or family so why are they using my number to call me? I'm complaining because they won't do the common sense and standard thing of letting it outside and they're causing me hassle and anxiety for what should be a very simple thing.

And being given the run around over and over most of all.

It would indeed make sense for them to unbox it and get rid of the packaging if it was a fridge or washling machine or something like that. But most of their items are electronics as far as I can see, why say such an obviously wrong thing for most products? Again it is 100% normal for delivered items to be given instructed to be left in a safe place. Usually they do it without instructions because it's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Really can't see all the fuss here about the phone call. I'd be delighted and regularly get calls about deliveries. To me it shows a personal touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds like an outstanding service tbf.

Hard to give an exact time of delivery I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

I blame Eamonn Ryan for creating this logistics issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why say that when his comment was very valid. You got a courtesy call. That's good service. I too don't see in the slightest what you find so disturbing about getting such a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH you seem to have started this thread to rant extensively about a company daring to use your number to tell you about your own delivery and for playing their part by removing the packaging that protects your new product. Going to move on here as bewilderment is all I've got. Good luck with the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Hard to take this seriously

OP is angry they called him on the number he gave them, but also angry that when he called them he couldn't speak to a person. Strange.

OP is angry they are offering to unpack and remove all waste packaging, which they otherwise would have to pay for disposal of. Strange

OP wants them to leave a, presumably, expensive yet portable electronic good unsecured in public rather than have them deliver to their home. Strange

I mean OP, if you came home and found no TV but they said they had delivered it but left it outside. Would you be happy with that? If some passerby decided to just take your TV you would not hold Currys responsible? Of course, you would. In the same way you would step forward and take all legal responsibility for the person who trips over it as it lies out in public.

I guess since this is in after hours, rather than consumer issues, it's just meant to be silly trolling but I can't understand the point.

It's not "in public" at all, that is ridiculous. As I made clear it is in my driveway in an area that is not only on private property but well out of sight of the road. It is a very large item that would be hard to justify trying to steal and get away with, what's more these days a lot of people have cameras everywhere so theft is incredibly unlikely. If I had been able to give them instructions I could tell them exactly where to hide it increasing the security.

I came here to vent about this bizarre customer service and see if there was some discussion to be had, seems a lot of people here are just looking for anything to troll about including the "let's sabotage the OP hee hee, he won't like that" which has zero credibility in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

What a whinge bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What I want to know , is did the poster who thanked the OPS post do it because they agreed with OP or was it because the post is entertaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This thread has made me want to order a curry now

Advertisement