Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferreting

Options
  • 01-09-2022 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi lads, I was wondering if anyone can give any info on what would be required to get setup to go ferreting? I would only be looking to get setup with 1 or 2 ferrets just for a bit of fun. Just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info on best time of year to pick them up, what I would need to pick up for ferreting and any other info.

Thanks in advance

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭alan86

Mods I am after adding this to wrong place. Could ye move to hunting forum please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Did you have a go at the ferreting after lad?

Hi Eddie B, no I haven't made any start but still looking for info. The plan would be to make a start next year but I would like to get as much info on it now and start getting setup for next year. I'm not looking to get setup with anything major just one or two ferrets to get myself and one of my young lads with enough to do a bit of ferretting. I have shot for a good few years but no experiance in ferretting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well, I suppose the best approach would be to have a proper setup, before even thinking about getting the ferrets.

You'll need something to house them in. Two options are a hutch, or even better, a small shed, or a corner of a large shed, set up to accommodate ferrets. You will probably find plans on line for building something decent.

Next, you'll need some gear. Nets, ferret carrying box, decent spade, locator, and collar. These are a must, if you intend to hunt your ferrets. Often for sale on Donedeal/Adverts, as job lots at bargain prices.

Lastly, the ferrets themselves. I'd buy young, well handled ferrets. Keep handling them often. Nothing as bad as a nippy ferret. Handle them every day. And keep their living quarters clean. If you don't clean out regularly, you'll have smelly ferrets, and the Mrs won't be happy lol

O, another thing to consider. Are there plenty of rabbits in your area? A lot of lads are getting out of ferrets the last number of years simply because there are no, or very little rabbits in their area. RHV has decimated rabbit populations all over the Country, and so no rabbits, means no ferreting.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Great post there @Eddie B .

About all I'd add is give them interesting stuff to occupy them when they are in their home. I can't stress enough how clever and inquisitive ferrets are.

Himself started with a basic garden shed that he adapted and extended until it became Fertle Towers . I'll put a couple of pics on.

Sorry they're sideways !

Anyhoo, tubes, ramps, ropes, hammocks etc all make for happy ferrets.

• Advertisement

Eddie B and put_the_kettle_on thanks very much for the replies. I really appricate all the info. One of the other board users past on their number so we had a good chat this morning on all the dos and don'ts. Thanks for all the help.

Post edited by alan86 on

Advertisement