Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox leaking dilemma

Options
  • 01-09-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently brought my car for a service, noticed some oil drop marks. I was told that the gear box is leaking oil and advised to get a replacement. The car is a 2008 Passat, and I’m actually moving country in 2 months. I was advised to get the clutch fixed too as it’s making a little noise.

I’m not going to keep the car when I leave and it seems alot €950 (approx quote) to spend on a car for just two months.

The car has 370,000km on the clock and I’m not sure I’d even sell it if I got it fixed. Though it looks in great condition. The mechanic explained that it will continue to deteriorate, I suppose my query what advice would you give. Fix it for €950, maybe sell it for 1,500 in two months if I’m lucky. Or continue to use it until I leave and scrap it when I do. (I’m just not sure how long it takes to go from a small drip leak to breaking down because I can’t change the gear)

Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i would just drive it on the next 2 months and hope it sees me through, then sell it as spares or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks, Is it dangerous to drive on a motorway with a gearbox leak? Slightly cautious about using it as normal until the inevitable. Just to add the mechanic said if I spend the 950 getting it fixed, I’d probably get 1500 selling it. So that’s an option. Of course it u not sell either but cosmetically it looks great, and up until yesterday I would have said everything works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just keep driving it. Get your mechanic to top up the gearbox oil it should last for at least 2 months.

Advertisement