Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidying up attic joist insulation and adding flooring

Options
  • 01-09-2022 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I just recently moved into a house that I'm aiming to improve over time. One of the areas I'm working on at the moment is the attic and I'm looking for any thoughts/suggestions.

The house is a dormer with a fairly large attic at the apex. The attic is unfloored at the moment with 100mm foil backed Kingspan boards cut and fitted between the joists (which are 150mm), fairly well in most causes but there are certainly gaps I could easily fill. ~50 downlights protruding into the attic which have been given generous space in the Kingspan boards. Strangely the rafters in the attic have been thoroughly spray foam insulated as well, I suspect to try and keep the house cold as much as to keep it warm. I've already bought a load of 18mm OSB boards to lay down some flooring up there, just for storage purposes.

1. I'll get a bunch of downlight covers from downlightcoversdirect.ie and silicone them in-place on top of each downlighter. I'm thinking I could then use some spray foam to fill around the covers where the Kingspan has been cut back quite far
    2. I think it would be worth sealing the gaps between the Kingspan boards and possibly between the boards and the joists (although these are fairly tight already). Thoughts on and thoughts on what to use? Not sure spray foam will penetrate much into the fairly tight gaps, so a bit of silicone maybe just to improve airtightness?
    3. There isn't really room to run a separate set of joists on top of the existing ones before laying the floor, so I'll need to lay the floor onto the existing joists. But should the 50mm gap between the Kingspan boards and the new flooring be left for breathing or filled with more insulation (loft roll maybe)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Advertisement