Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can Tv3 get away with showing and playing those ads

Options
  • 01-09-2022 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Tv3 used to have an ad on their channel -

go to [website name?] to claim your free memorial coin.

I didn't observe the ad on RTÉ - I think it was mainly on Tv3. Sure, that was a scam. Surely it was known as a scam but Tv3 continued to air it.

Now there's another add telling us about some poverty in a country far away about little girls going blind, then there's a soft voice saying

'please consider us in your will'.

I would consider that to be aimed at older people perhaps. Some older people can be vulnerable with less sense. I would consider that ad to be preying on some vulnerable older people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It just seems that every charity, NGO, useless tosser is after everyone else’s cash to sort out whatever problem they advocate for.

those adds are all over the radio too. You can’t move for them. NGO world is big business let’s not forget. CEO’s on six figure salaries managers on healthy sums aswell. Big FOR PROFIT business.

myself and family always donate annually to the Capuchin day care centre…. We have family working there for decades and have seen first hand the help they give homeless and down on their luck families and single people. Daily meals, clothing, healthcare appointments, dentistry.

They work at the forefront, they get to know the people they are helping, they sort the genuine cases from the scammers.

and are not shy about doing it and WILL have no issue sending anyone packing who is just on the make..or just after freebies they don’t need or trying to get help they don’t need or not entitled to in any manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Money. They paid Virgin money. Virgin likes money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither of those ads breach any law or (voluntary) advertising code.

Try watching UK domestic TV (not the NI ad regions which are stuffed with Irish ads) if you want to see egregious ads. Ambulance chasers, gambling, 'equity release', high interest loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Charitys are out for everyone elses money to solve what it is they advocate for?

Well knock me down with a feather, a stunning revelation.

None of these ads are illegal. If you don't like the message, don't give them money. If you don't like the advert, don't watch VMTV.

Advertisement