Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerbank/Power Station Question

Options
  • 01-09-2022 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I'm looking for a powerbank / power station that would be able to keep a Wifi Router and two laptops running for approx 8 hours.

I've looked online and there is so much confusing info out there I'm hoping someone might have some advice/recommendations to meet these needs.

I've looked at ones for camping like the one pictured below, but once again, the info is never straightforward.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

That looks way underpowered for your proposed use.

A laptop from a quick google search uses 100w/hr while in use. that will probably get you and hour of use from a charge for your 2 laptops and router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I note its a 60 Hz,generator?

Sounds like your in the market for an UPS, ,all this stuff is expensive,may be cheaper alternatives?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

8 Hours is a very very big ask from a UPS.

What you have listed is probably going to run at around 150 watts all in in terms of continuous draw.

This UPS from APC/Schneider will cost €2,500+ and would only give you about 3 to 3.5hrs run time for that consumption.

The laptops you could run off their own battery and then a standard portable battery to recharge - I have one that cost about €100 and the battery will fully charge the laptop once so that might get me 7/8 hrs of use depending on what I'm doing.

The Router probably uses ~20watts so you might get a UPS that would give you 8 hrs , but it won't be cheap at all.

Good points,well made.

• Advertisement

Good points we'll made, Not a easy subject.

I managed to buy a lion Ev battery,think its 2kwhrs,at 20v,for around €350. Solar PV charges it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would imagine it varies between laptops, power modes, and whatever applications you're running.

OP would need to give a lot more details to make an appropriate call.

Agreed on more details,think we might be moved to Neuclear Winter off grid Thread!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Either way - 8 hours from a UPS is fairly high grade stuff.

Most Data centres wouldn't have that - They'd be switching over to diesel generators after 10-15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Could be a sequence in the Oppenheimer movie,oops wrong thread again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

https://eu.renogy.com/products/powerstation/ the expensive one will hold 1 kWh of energy, so would power your ballpark 150w load for about 6.5 hours.

I recently went for"Revitalised",ie 80 euro off,but looked brand new,Ecoflow 300 watt,600 watt surge , for less than 300 euro.Performs well,but over complicated with things I don't need ike IOT Bluetooth and WiFi. Requiring firmware download from Hong-Kong! Charges from solar,PV, mains,or 12v car batter.

Advertisement